This simple shaved brussel sprout salad comes together in no time and is certain to be a crowd pleaser! Creamy dijon mustard, olive oil and a touch of sea salt and pepper are all you need to dress this salad--all things you probably have in the pantry now!
This recipe was originally published December 2015 and updated June 2020.
Who knew I loved Brussels sprouts?
Until very recently, I HATED Brussels sprouts. Like loathed entirely.
But I had a simple shaved brussel sprout salad at a restaurant at one point and then HAD to recreate it.
This salad is my version. The restaurant closed down so it is a very good thing that I still have this recipe to enjoy!
No cooking required--raw brussels sprout shred easily in the food processor, a simple dressing of olive oil, dijon mustard, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Whip it all up in no time and ENJOY!
What you need to make this recipe:
- Want to speed up this shaved brussel sprout salad making? Buy pre-shredded brussel sprouts and don't apologize one bit!
How to make this recipe:
- The easiest way to shred or shave your brussels sprouts is to use a food processor in my opinion. Cut off the stems of the brussels sprouts, cut them in half and place them in the food processor. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your food processor. (step 1)
- Pulse the food processor to shred the brussels sprouts. Transfer them to a medium mixing bowl. I often pick out any big chunks and pop them back into the food processor to pulse them a couple more times. (steps 2 and 3)
- Toss the walnuts, parmesan and onion into the bowl with the shredded brussels sprouts. Toss to combine. (step 4)
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, pepper and salt to taste. Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Add an extra sprinkle of parmesan on top and enjoy right away or chill until ready to serve. (steps 5 and 6)
What to serve with this salad:
- I guess you could also say what should you serve ON this Shredded Brussels sprout Salad, right? Who wouldn't love a delicious piece of grilled chicken or even grilled salmon right on top??
- Speaking of chicken, I think these Cornmeal Crusted Chicken Tenders would be delicious to pair with this salad!
- Maybe you are up for a soup and salad kind of meal? Try this Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup to pair with this salad.
- Or maybe a sandwich is what you are thinking? That's a great idea as well! This Havarti Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Baby Arugula is WHERE IT'S AT, my friends! Well, and so is this Blueberry Basil Grilled Cheese, but I feel like the Havarti is definitely going to pair better.
- There's also no reason you can't have this salad all on it's own! Just thought you should know.
Try these other recipes:
- Roasted Brussels Sprout, Quinoa + Brown Rice Salad
- Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Roasted Maple Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Pecans
- Strawberry Summer Quinoa Salad
- Kale + Brussels Sprout Salad with Ginger Lime Dressing
I love some of the recipes on this list of 30 amazing brussels sprouts recipes too! One for every day of the month, right?!
- 1 ½ lb. fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ red onion, small diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ c Dijon mustard
- ⅓ c olive oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- salt to taste
- Rinse brussels sprouts and cut the ends off of each and then cut each in half.
- Add the sprouts in a food processor and pulse until shredded. Pour shredded sprouts into a large bowl. Add the onion, parmesan, and walnuts and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt to taste. Add to the salad and toss to coat evenly.
- Enjoy or chill until ready to enjoy!