This post may contain affiliate links.
This simple shaved brussel sprout salad comes together in just 20 minutes and is certain to be a crowd pleaser! Creamy dijon mustard, olive oil and a touch of sea salt and pepper are all you need to dress this salad--all things you probably have in the pantry now!
This recipe was originally published December 2015 and updated June 2020.
Brussels sprouts can actually be quite amazing raw--who knew! We love enjoying them roasted with maple and balsamic, but fresh in a salad is a great way too!
This shaved Brussels sprout salad was inspired by a salad from a restaurant I used to frequent that is no longer around.
Whip it all up in no time and ENJOY!
Why You Will Love This Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- You can prepare it in less than 20 minutes. Minimal veggie chopping-the food processor can literally do all the work for you. You can chop the onion as well as the Brussels sprouts in it. A great time saver. Then just toss everything together and mix.
- It's great for meal prepping. This is a salad that does well in the refrigerator for up to about 5 days--if it lasts that long. Add some grilled chicken and maybe some rice to make it a full meal ready to go.
- A great way to alternate from your same old salad. Sometimes it's refreshing to have something different from the boring mundane salad. We all get into our food ruts, but shaking things up can really make a difference. This is a great way to get in the veggies and just do something different.
- Brussels sprouts: no need to cook them. You want fresh, raw Brussels sprouts. I know Trader Joe's sells pre-shredded brussels sprouts for a quick time saving hack.
- onion: red is ideal for added color. Use what you have on hand if you don't have a red onion handy.
- parmesan cheese: I like shredded parmesan in this shaved Brussel sprout salad, but grated or shaved will work as well. Bonus if you can freshly shred it!
- walnuts: chopped, raw or toasted. You can toast them in a skillet for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat for a more vibrant flavor. If you have an allergy, use chopped pecans, sliced almonds or even some sunflower seeds.
- olive oil: use a high quality olive oil for a smooth, vibrant flavor
- dijon mustard: this is the key ingredient for flavor in this shaved Brussel sprout
- lemon juice: freshly squeezed is ideal for optimal flavor
- pepper: season to your taste, adjust as needed. You can add salt to taste as well.
How to make this recipe:
- The easiest way to shred or shave your brussels sprouts is to use a food processor in my opinion. Cut off the stems of the brussels sprouts, cut them in half and place them in the food processor. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your food processor. (step 1)
- Pulse the food processor to shred the brussels sprouts. Transfer them to a medium mixing bowl. I often pick out any big chunks and pop them back into the food processor to pulse them a couple more times. (steps 2 and 3)
- Toss the walnuts, parmesan and onion into the bowl with the shredded brussels sprouts. Toss to combine. (step 4)
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, pepper and salt to taste. Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Add an extra sprinkle of parmesan on top and enjoy right away or chill until ready to serve. (steps 5 and 6)
What to Serve With This Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad:
- Add some protein by topping with some grilled chicken or salmon. Speaking of chicken, I think these Cornmeal Crusted Chicken Tenders would be delicious to pair with this salad!
- Maybe you are up for a soup and salad kind of meal? Try this Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup to pair with this salad.
- Or maybe a sandwich is what you are thinking? That's a great idea as well! This Havarti Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Baby Arugula is WHERE IT'S AT, my friends! Well, and so is this Blueberry Basil Grilled Cheese, but I feel like the Havarti is definitely going to pair better.
- Check out this list of other great dishes to pair with Brussels sprouts!
Other Salad Recipes:
- Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Easy Lemon Orzo Salad
- Strawberry Summer Quinoa Salad
- Tortellini Caprese Salad
- Black Bean Cauliflower Rice Salad
I love some of the recipes on this list of 30 amazing brussels sprouts recipes too! One for every day of the month, right?!
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for all the latest!
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 ½ lb. fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ red onion, small diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ c Dijon mustard
- ⅓ c olive oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- salt to taste
- Rinse brussels sprouts and cut the ends off of each and then cut each in half.
- Add the sprouts in a food processor and pulse until shredded. Pour shredded sprouts into a large bowl. Add the onion, parmesan, and walnuts and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt to taste. Add to the salad and toss to coat evenly.
- Enjoy or chill until ready to enjoy!
Leave a Reply