Nothing against the classic sandwich, but this Blueberry Basil Grilled Cheese will be your new summer sandwich for sure–fresh basil, juicy blueberries and goat cheese with a hint of honey–enough said!
While I would happily eat grilled cheese year round, I feel like I taper off making it over the summer. So this year I decided that was not acceptable. This summer would be the summer of grilled cheeses, but not your average grilled cheese of course.
And this Blueberry Basil version is definitely a sandwich like you have never tasted!
I feel like the last year, I have been on a big kick of putting fruit in recipes that they may not usually be included in. Last week’s Strawberry Chicken Salad was one of the latest, but one of my all time faves is my Mango + Avocado Salsa. Love the combo of the mango with the heat from the peppers.
It makes sense then that blueberries would end up in grilled cheese, right?? Maybe you are on the fence and thinking keep those berries away from my precious sandwich. I can respect that. But I promise the combination of the sweet and savory in this one is so satisfying. A touch of honey in the goat cheese adds even more!
I mean, it’s summer right? That means berry season. And there are only so many (okay, a lot actually, I am just exaggerating) ways you can prepare it until you are ready for something new. The added bonus to this recipe is that you get a little blueberry syrup to use later on some pancakes!
I have given the measurements for one sandwich so that you can simply double, triple and more to make sandwiches for the entire crew if necessary. I am sure you could make this sandwich without boiling the berries and using them fresh, but trust me, give it the extra few minutes and don’t skip this step. It is the hit. I used a honey goat cheese, if you have plain, just add a drizzle of honey on top of the goat cheese!
Hungry for more grilled cheese?? (Who isn’t?!) Check out this Havarti, Avocado Baby Arugula Grilled Cheese!
Blueberry Basil Grilled CheesePrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 c blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 5-7 fresh basil leaves, whole or chopped
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 T honey goat cheese
- In a small saucepan, bring the blueberries to a very soft boil and begin mashing while stirring. Stir in maple syrup or honey. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes and then strain liquid and reserve liquid for pancakes tomorrow morning!
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Then spread 1 T goat cheese onto the other side. Place one buttered side on a medium heated griddle. Spread blueberry mixture on top and top with basil. Add other slice of bread, butter side out.
- Cook until bread is golden brown and then flip, allowing the other side to cook to desired brown as well. Remove from heat and enjoy!