Some things go together pretty naturally. Peanut butter and jelly, tomato soup and grilled cheese, coffee and cream, you name it. Some partnerships were just meant to be. And then there are the things that don’t seem very likely to go together and yet they somehow do. I like to think that this salad is along those lines.
When I was younger, I used to turn my nose at some of the things my mom would order at restaurants. She seemed t0 have a thing for pairing fruits with chicken or other meats or dishes that weren’t always seem to be common partners. In my mind, sweet things like fruit just didn’t go with savory dishes. I have since then changed my mind on this and actually enjoy adding fruit to salads and other dishes that may not seem to commonly go together.
After adding peaches to my Avocado Peach Caprese Quinoa Salad, I started to venture more into the “what else can I toss some fruit into?” realm. Thus was born this latest dish, Strawberry Feta Quinoa Salad. The sweetness of the strawberries round out this salad and add a pop of flavor. Throw in some spinach, quinoa and feta and you’ve got yourself some protein, fiber and calcium. I have made this three times since I created the recipe and each batch has not lasted long enough for me to try it with some grilled chicken or even toss pecans or almonds in it. I could eat it straight from the bowl! So now that summer is upon as and strawberries are popping up everywhere, it’s time to toss them in and savor the sweetness!
Strawberry Feta Quinoa SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries feel free to add more!
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Slice and chop ingredients and set aside.
- When quinoa is fully cooked, toss it over the spinach in a large mixing bowl and allow for the spinach to wilt as you stir.
- Add onion, garlic, balsamic, oil, cilantro, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Stir in feta and strawberries.
- Chill for about 20-30 minutes before eating. (Unless you are like me, I ate it from the mixing bowl!)