Pork carnitas are a delicious, crispy pork taco recipe and they make for an amazing meal. Make it a full, well rounded meal with these recipe ideas of what to serve with carnitas and you will have a perfect dinner the whole family will love!
What are carnitas?
Carnitas translates to "little meats" and is a pork dish that originated in Mexico. It is typically made by simmering or braising pork in oil or lard until super tender. This slow cooker version from My Latina Table is a great recipe!
We make these crispy Instant Pot Pork Carnitas pretty often although if you can even make these in the slow cooker, that is truly where the flavor is. But I don't always have the time to slow cook, so sometimes the Instant Pot is my best friend.
Why We Love Carnitas:
- They are easy to make. Whether you are braising, slow cooking or making them in your Instant pot, carnitas are actually quite simple to whip up.
- Leftovers are great to use in so many ways. You don't just have to use the meat in tacos. There are so many options for ways to use your Mexican pulled pork!
- They are freezer friendly. You can pop leftover carnitas in the freezer for another meal when you are in a pinch and need a delicious dinner the family will love. Thaw and heat and add to tacos.
- They are SO crispy and delicious. When I make our Instant Pot Carnitas, getting them nice and crispy in the end is key. Popping them in the oven to broil just for a few minutes seals the deal and makes them so irresistible.
What to top your carnitas with:
Traditionally, carnitas are served in tortillas and topped with cilantro, diced onion, salsa, and even guacamole. You can serve your pork carnitas with other toppings you may love such as:
- shredded cheese or crumbled cotija
- shredded cabbage
- cilantro lime slaw
- diced avocado
- lettuce and tomato
- sour cream
- lemon or lime juice
- pico de gallo
- sliced radish
Other Uses for Carnitas Meat:
You can use the meat you make for pork carnitas in so many ways other than tacos.
We also love adding them to omelettes and breakfast hash recipes. I toss some carnitas into this sweet potato breakfast hash some days!
What to serve with your pork carnitas:
It is quite easy to get carried away and simply eat several pork tacos and want nothing else. And that is fine. But if you are looking for some delicious side dishes to round out your dinner, try one of these!
What to Drink With Your Carnitas:
Don't forget to whip up some delicious cocktails to serve with your pork carnitas as well. I love a classic margarita, but you definitely will want to give this strawberry margarita a try as well!