This post may contain affiliate links.
Take your sweet potatoes to the next level. These simple Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are an easy weeknight meal that is full of beans and veggies! A great vegetarian recipe full of flavor and a healthy dinner for the whole family!
Winner, Winner, Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for dinner!
It's just about official! Fall is finally here! Crunchy leaves, warm lattes and the smell of anything pumpkin baking in the oven are here to stay!
Dinners tend to make a big change as we move into cooler evenings. Soups and chilis become the norm and I am ever so excited about it. The other thing that makes me happy is anything sweet potato. This Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet is a good one!
Adding sweet potatoes to soups, chilis, smoothies and more become an almost daily thing for me in the fall. Tonight's dinner, however, pretty much takes the cake for me when it comes to sweet potatoes.
Tonight, I decided that the only thing better than a baked sweet potato is a stuffed baked sweet potato. The combination of sweet potatoes with spices like cumin and chili powder are as perfect as peanut butter and jelly. It just makes sense. So be ready for a lot of it!
Sweet Potatoes Are always better Stuffed
These Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes take your average potato and turn it up ten notches. This is an easy one dish meal that can be made in advance as well. With a simple modification, it can easily be made vegan by omitting the cheese or adding a dairy free cheese.
You can add ground meat or chicken to the mix if you would like as well. I love to use leftover rotisserie or shredded chicken in just before serving.
These are very hearty and filling and perfect to warm you up. Top these with avocado, cilantro, greek yogurt and more. A little squeeze of lime juice will also add some fun to the mix. Like it hot? Toss some more crushed red pepper or some hot sauce if you prefer.
So take your average sweet potato and jazz it up a bit for dinner tonight. Turn dinner into a real fiesta for everyone!
Are these Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes vegan?
If you hold the cheese, then yes! These are easily made to accommodate anyone who needs to keep it dairy free or vegan in general. You could add a vegan cheese if desired or top with some avocado to give them a bit more heartiness.
What do I need to make these Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes?
- Sweet Potatoes
- Black Beans
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Chiles
- Lime juice
- Spices: cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder
I typically have all of these in the fridge or pantry so this is typically a great recipe for when I need to "throw" dinner together on a whim. I also find it versatile enough to change up a little something every now and then to make it feel fresh and new.
How to Serve these Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- I prefer them with lots of cheese, and avocado. My favorite no fuss way to dig in.
- Cilantro. Always cilantro.
- Top these with a bit of guacamole and take it up a notch. Or serve this Spicy Mongo Guacamole on the side with some chips.
- Speaking of chips, crush some up over top of your stuffed sweet potato for some extra crunch.
- Love extra heat? Mix in some siracha or hot sauce when prepping the "stuffing" for these sweet potatoes and then top with jalapeños. Talk about caliente!
Looking for more ways to add some sweet potatoes in your life? Well look no further, I have got some goodies for you!
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili | My absolute FAVE!
- Sweet Potato Morning Glory Muffins | Wake up to deliciousness!
- Spiralized Sweet Potato + Baby Arugula Frittata | Breakfast, lunch or dinner!
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 can or two cups black beans
- ¾ cup corn
- ¼ cup diced chiles
- ½ cup diced tomates
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ T chili powder
- ½ T cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper more to taste
- Sea Salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Poke sweet potatoes with a a fork several times.
- Bake sweet potatoes for about 45-55 minutes or until soft.
- About 15 minutes before sweet potatoes are done, heat a skillet to medium heat.Heat a teaspoon of olive oil. Sauté spinach until wilted. Add the tomatoes, chiles and corn and heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add black beans, lime juice and spices and lower to low heat.
- Stir and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When sweet potatoes are out of the oven,cut sweet potatoes in half and mash the inside. (You can remove all of the flesh and mash together but that seems like more work than necessary to me!)
- Place the open sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and evenly distribute the bean mixture over the potatoes.
- Broil for about 6-8 minutes or until edges of the potatoes are crisp. Remove from the oven and garnish to your liking.
Jacque Hastert says
I have all the ingredients for this and it sounds like the perfect lunch for today!
Isn’t it the best when that happens?! Enjoy!
These sweet potatoes look so good! I think sweet potatoes and Mexican flavors go so nicely together. I can't wait to give these a try!
Thanks Holly, I hope you love them!!
This looks perfect - like a taco without the shell. We love mexican food and sweet potatoes, so I can't wait to add this to the dinner rotation.
Yay!! Enjoy Julie!
Sri Mallya says
I love Mexican flavors and always look for new ways to try it. This is so creative and looks so delicious. YUM!
Can’t go wrong in my house with anything Mexican!
Anne Murphy says
Oh, that's great! I've been using sweet potatoes more and more - the family like them, they're terrific nutritionally, and we get really good ones here in North Carolina... So I"m always open to a new recipe! The like Mexican as much as they like sweets - match made in heaven.
Ha, sounds like a real win there!
Emily Leary says
Mmm, I haven't tried stuffing a sweet potato with Mexican flavours. What a really great idea!
Eileen Kelly says
Yum! I love this recipe! I am always looking for a great vegetarian meal using sweet potatoes! One of my sons recently moved back to Los Angeles and he is a huge sweet potato fan. I am sending him the recipe also.
Awww thanks so much for sharing Eileen!
Amanda Mason says
What a PERFECT light dinner! I love what you stuffed thiese with!! I could also see me taking this to lunch! Such a great idea to stuff sweet potatoes!!
All potatoes are better stuffed—promise!!
I don't know if I've ever seen a sweet potato look so good! Loving all the good stuff going on here. A great twist for meatless Monday or taco Tuesday!
I’m sure I could think of a reason to have it the rest of the week too ?