Simple and delicious, this Ramen Cabbage Salad packs in all the crunch! Chopped cabbage, ramen noodles peanuts and more make this crisp salad one that everyone will gobble up. An easy peanut dressing to top it all off!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a commission.
Ramen Cabbage Salad
There is a Thai restaurant in town that serves an amazing cabbage salad with a peanut dressing that I have to get every time I go there. Recently I drove past the restaurant and realized it had been a while since I had been there and of course a craving for the salad ensued.
I decided I would give this recipe a spin and come up with my own version. It’s definitely not the same, but it sure is tasty!
I happen to be a big fan of cabbage. The crunch, the sweet and sour flavor all at once–I love it. I know not it’s not everyone’s thing, but it so is mine.
This Ramen Cabbage Salad is a great base salad that can be tweaked by a variety of add ins. This is why I love it all the more.
I kept the recipe very basic so that each time you make it, you can fine tune it with the possible addition of grilled chicken, avocado, edamame, yellow pepper and more.
If you are going to serve it to a group for a party or cookout, toss the dressing in the entire salad when serving. If you are planning to eat off of it over a week like I did, leave the dressing separate until you are ready to eat.
The peanut dressing is somewhat thick but the addition of a bit more water can bring it to your desired consistency. Also, I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much cilantro so pile on as much as you like! Enjoy!
What you will need to make this Ramen Cabbage Salad:
- cole slaw mix
- red cabbage
- green onion
- chopped peanuts
- ramen noodles
For the dressing:
- olive oil
- peanut butter
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce
- ground mustard
- crushed red pepper
Is this Ramen Cabbage Salad Vegan?
As is, it is completely vegan! So feel free to invite all of your plant based friends over to share this one! It’s not always easy to find vegan friendly recipes without making substitutions so keep this one in your back pocket for when you need it!
Are Ramen Noodles Gluten Free?
Most ramen noodles contain wheat flour so no, they are technically not gluten free.
You can find gluten free Ramen though so you are in luck!
These ramen noodles are gluten free:
- Thai Kitchen Ramen
- Lotus Foods Brown Rice Ramen
- Dr. McDougalls Rice Ramen
I am not 100% sure if these are available in groceries, but I know they are at least out there!
Things to note when making this Ramen Cabbage Salad:
- It is 100% ok to buy pre-chopped veggies! Why do you think I used the Cole slaw mix?! I can get a package for $1.49 at the grocery. $1.49? Yes, that kind of price is what I am talking about.
- I do love this peanut dressing. A lot. But sometimes, when I am in the mood for something different, I switch it up and use this dressing for a more slaw like recipe. It’s so delicious as well.
- Adjust the dressing to your desired thickness. Not all peanut butters are created equally. I use the really drippy natural kind so it is a bit thinner. You may need to thin yours out a bit more and that is ok!
- If you are planning to eat off of this throughout the week, you can hold off on adding the dressing until you serve.
- Add alllllll of the goodies to really make this salad into a meal. Some grilled chicken or fish, avocado, or if you want to keep it vegan, some fried tofu!
Check out these other salad recipes:
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
Chopped Thai Salad With Peanut Dressing
For the Salad
- 1 bag cole slaw mix (14 oz.) chopped
- 1 medium head of purple cabbage chopped
- 5 green onions chopped
- 3/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 c crushed peanuts
- 1 package ramen noodles (3 oz.)
For the Dressing
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/3 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 3 T soy sauce or liquid aminos, or Tamari for gluten free option
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 T maple syrup or honey
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3-5 T water
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- Sea salt
- Chop/cut vegetables accordingly and combine in a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- For the dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Either pour dressing over salad and toss to combine, or wait until ready to serve to add dressing. (Add desired amount of dressing, you don't have to use the entire amount.) Toss in crushed up ramen noodles and peanuts just before serving. Top with extra cilantro for garnish.
- Refrigerate leftovers in sealed containers.