Enjoy an apple a day with this thick and creamy Apple Smoothie. Spinach, apple, cinnamon and a few other ingredients blend together to make this delicious smoothie that will have you ready for all of the apple picking this year!
An apple a day…
Wasn’t I so sneaky naming this Apple Smoothie an Apple Pie Smoothie?? As if I took a big slice of flaky, buttery pie and popped it in the blender?! Hmmmm–oh wait, should I do THAT instead??
No, not now. But maybe later. For now you will have to settle for this creamy and thick delicious green smoothie.
I have been making this smoothie for quite some time. They say an apple a day, right? Well you can get your apple in with this one!
This Apple Smoothie is a perfect way to get your greens in. Bonus for me, the toddler actually loves this one! While he may be a big veggie eater, leafy greens are not really his thing. So we opt for smoothies to get those in.
When it comes to smoothies, I often get into a rut and continue to add the same thing over and over. This is a great recipe when I feel like I am on berry overload.
It tastes a bit more like a treat to be honest, but I am okay with that. I will take a bit of apple pie any day!
Can I make this Apple Pie Smoothie vegan?
You most certainly can! This recipe is naturally vegan!
Do I have to peel my apple before adding in to the smoothie?
Nope! Toss it on in peel and all. I cut it up into big chunks but if you have a high powered blender you don’t really even have to do that. I have cut the apple away from the core before and tossed the big pieces right in!
How can I add some extra protein to this apple smoothie?
There are several ways you could give a protein boost to this smoothie recipe.
- protein powder: ( I would suggest vanilla.) Add a scoop before you blend!
- cottage cheese–Sounds different, but seriously! Adding 1/4 cup cottage cheese to your smoothie is an easy way to increase protein without the sue of protein powder
- greek yogurt: I love adding a touch of vanilla yogurt to my smoothies. You could also use plain Greek yogurt, but you may need to sweeten the smoothie slightly to taste.
- chia seeds: these won’t give a huge boost of protein, but they still add some for sure.
What you will need to make this apple smoothie:
- apple: I prefer either gala or fuji in this apple smoothie. Those are my two favorite apples and they have just the right amount of sweet with a touch of tart. If you would like to use another apple, I say go for it!
- frozen banana: I keep a stockpile of frozen banana chunks at ALL times in the freezer. It will be a sad day when I am caught without any!
- spinach: I love spinach in my smoothies. It makes them nice and green but the flavor is very mild.
- vanilla almond milk: this is not a must by any means, but I love using vanilla almond milk to give more flavor to my smoothies. If you use another milk, maybe add a splash of vanilla extract instead.
- almond butter: adds a bit of bulk and protein to your smoothie!
- cinnamon: the star of the show for this smoothie and a must for me!
Try these other delicious smoothie recipes!
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 medium apple cut into bite sized chunks I used Gala
- 1 T almond butter
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon depending on how strong you like it
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Combine all ingredients into high powered blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with a dash or two of cinnamon and serve.