Enjoy an apple a day with this thick and creamy Apple Smoothie. Spinach, apple, cinnamon and a few other ingredients blend together to make this delicious smoothie that will have you ready for all of the apple picking this year!
An apple a day...
Wasn't I so sneaky naming this Apple Smoothie an Apple Pie Smoothie?? As if I took a big slice of flaky, buttery pie and popped it in the blender?! Hmmmm--oh wait, should I do THAT instead??
No, not now. But maybe later. For now you will have to settle for this creamy and thick delicious green smoothie.
I have been making this smoothie for quite some time. They say an apple a day, right? Well you can get your apple in with this one!
This Apple Smoothie is a perfect way to get your greens in. Bonus for me, the toddler actually loves this one! While he may be a big veggie eater, leafy greens are not really his thing. So we opt for smoothies to get those in.
When it comes to smoothies, I often get into a rut and continue to add the same thing over and over. This is a great recipe when I feel like I am on berry overload.
It tastes a bit more like a treat to be honest, but I am okay with that. I will take a bit of apple pie any day!
Can I make this Apple Pie Smoothie vegan?
You most certainly can! This recipe is naturally vegan!
Do I have to peel my apple before adding in to the smoothie?
Nope! Toss it on in peel and all. I cut it up into big chunks but if you have a high powered blender you don't really even have to do that. I have cut the apple away from the core before and tossed the big pieces right in!
How can I add some extra protein to this apple smoothie?
There are several ways you could give a protein boost to this smoothie recipe.
- protein powder: ( I would suggest vanilla.) Add a scoop before you blend!
- cottage cheese--Sounds different, but seriously! Adding ¼ cup cottage cheese to your smoothie is an easy way to increase protein without the sue of protein powder
- greek yogurt: I love adding a touch of vanilla yogurt to my smoothies. You could also use plain Greek yogurt, but you may need to sweeten the smoothie slightly to taste.
- chia seeds: these won't give a huge boost of protein, but they still add some for sure.
What you will need to make this apple smoothie:
- apple: I prefer either gala or fuji in this apple smoothie. Those are my two favorite apples and they have just the right amount of sweet with a touch of tart. If you would like to use another apple, I say go for it!
- frozen banana: I keep a stockpile of frozen banana chunks at ALL times in the freezer. It will be a sad day when I am caught without any!
- spinach: I love spinach in my smoothies. It makes them nice and green but the flavor is very mild.
- vanilla almond milk: this is not a must by any means, but I love using vanilla almond milk to give more flavor to my smoothies. If you use another milk, maybe add a splash of vanilla extract instead.
- almond butter: adds a bit of bulk and protein to your smoothie!
- cinnamon: the star of the show for this smoothie and a must for me!
Try these other delicious smoothie recipes!
Carrot Cake Superfood Smoothie
Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Chocolate Banana Smoothie With a Kick
Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Smoothie
Almond Joy Smoothie
Kiwi Pineapple Green Smoothie
Creamsicle Protein Smoothie
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Smoothie
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 medium apple cut into bite sized chunks I used Gala
- 1 T almond butter
- ½ - 1 teaspoon cinnamon depending on how strong you like it
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Combine all ingredients into high powered blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with a dash or two of cinnamon and serve.
This is a great recipe! I love that my kids can enjoy it just as much as I do. Best kind of recipes!
Stephanie McKercher says
I'm not usually a big fan of green smoothies, but this version looks amazing and sounds just as delicious! The color is so vibrant—I want to dig right in!
The flavor is not what you would expect from a green smoothie but sooo good!
Abbey Sharp says
Ooh I love this idea. Now I can have apple pie in the morning! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂