Peanut butter and coffee?! Promise it's a thing! This smooth and creamy Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Smoothie is a simple and delicious reason to get up in the morning!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a commission.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Smoothie--Breakfast and Coffee in one!
I have worked at a couple of coffee shops in my life--once before Starbucks was really a thing and a second time when coffee became the very coolest thing around. Two very different experiences but both connected to my true love of the little roasted beans.
I LOVE coffee shops. The connections, the chatting, and of course, the coffee! The time I spent working at each of the two shops holds so many great memories and friendships that I never anticipated along the way. Coffee is a way to connect, a way to unite, one sip at a time.
Nowadays, there can be a lot of snobbery around coffee--there are different schools of coffee enthusiasts, if you will. You have those who believe that nothing should ever taint the purity of the brewed goodness(no cream, no sugar, nothing) and coffee is to be savored like a fine wine. Then you have the coffee drinkers who just want to get the job done--they stick with quick and easy drip coffee, maybe some cream and sugar but no fluff.
Another school includes those who want to drink coffee without actually tasting the coffee and so they stick with the caramely-ist, frothiest concoction that is chock full of everything in the kitchen with the coffee. And finally, you have those who get on every barista's last nerves when they order "EX-spresso."
Ok, enough chit-chat, let's get to the elephant in the room. I know what you are thinking:
Peanut Butter and Coffee?? Seriously?!
Please stay with me, I promise it's a thing.
I used to have a few customers that would order Peanut butter flavored syrup in their coffee drinks. And boy oh boy, in my mind, I stuck my nose up in the air and thought they were CRAZY. You guys know of my love of peanut butter but even I have to draw the line somewhere and coffee was definitely my line.
Notice I said, "Was."
This recipe is a perfect reminder that you really shouldn't knock it til you try it. I was floored by the combo and sip after sip, I kept thinking, why did I wait so long?! Somehow the sweetness of the chocolate, the saltiness of the peanut butter and then the coffee makes sense even though the thought of it just does not.
Seriously, don't knock peanut butter mocha until you try it.
If you are like me, you go through smoothie phases. I get on a big kick and make a certain flavor consistently for a few weeks and then switch to something else. Aside from my Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie, this Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee smoothie now has one of my longest streaks and I have not tired of it one bit.
The main reason for this the fact that it contains my morning cup of joe along with some fuel to start chasing after Sam right away in the morning--but also because it is delish, of course!
I also love that there is a lot of wiggle room when it comes to this smoothie. I use the recipe as a good base, but also when I am in the mood to shake it up, I toss in some other fun options. There was a day when I believed that spinach or something green had to be part of every smoothie, but that is no longer.
If you are wanting some greens added to yours, by all means, add it. Just know the color will not be the same in any way. Toss in protein powder, chia seeds, whatever your heart desires into the blender, to give the smoothie a boost. Just don't skip on the coffee, peanut butter or chocolate, otherwise it won't be a Peanut Butter Mocha Smoothie!
What You need to make this recipe:
- Peanut Butter: obvious, right? If you can't have peanut butter, another nut butter will work just fine as well.
- Frozen Banana: I am a firm believer that all smoothies should have a frozen base of some sort that is not ice. I feel like ice makes a smoothie watered down and bland. If you are out of frozen bananas, use a regular banana and add some ice, you will still be ok!
- Strong Cold Brewed coffee: the stronger the better in my opinion. There are a lot of ready to go cold brews at the grocery now, but there is nothing like fresh brewed. I assume a shot or two of espresso would be wildly amazing as well in this!
- Cocoa Powder: gotta add that chocolate!
- Vanilla yogurt: some smoothies I do all milk but I went with part milk and part yogurt for extra thick creaminess. Feel free to use a dairy free yogurt if desired.
- Milk: same thing here, use your favorite. We always have almond milk and whole milk in the house so whatever I can grab wins!
- Medjool Dates: these are optional for sweetness. Sometimes I use another sweetener such as maple or even a little bit of sugar. The smoothie may already be sweet enough as is for you!
Can I make this Smoothie Vegan?
Yes! You absolutely can! Use a dairy free yogurt and dairy free milk and this coffee smoothie is completely plant based! There are actually so many vegan yogurts out there these days so you have so many options to choose from really. Let me know your favorite dairy free yogurt!
How do I make this coffee smoothie a protein smoothie?
Easy--add a scoop of your favorite protein powder. You can also add some chia seeds into the mix if desired. Both are great options to give a protein kick to this refreshing smoothie.
Can I make this recipe without a banana?
This is actually a question I get a lot about smoothies. If you want to skip the banana, an avocado is a really great swap. The flavor will obviously be different, but an avocado will add bulk and thickness to it. You can also freeze your avocado to make the smoothie cooler and all the thicker.
Check out these other recipes:
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie with a Kick
- Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie
- Almond Joy Smoothie
- Green Smoothie Muffins
- Kiwi Pineapple Smoothie
- Maple Vanilla Cashew Coffee
Peanut Butter Mocha Smoothie
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1/3 c strong, cold brewed coffee*
- 1 - 1 1/2 T peanut butter
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 1/4 c vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 c milk of choice
- 1-2 medjool dates, pitted (optional to sweetness desired)**
- Add all ingredients into a high powered blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and serve immediately.
- Optional add ins: cacao nibs, chia seeds, protein powder, and more!