This post may contain affiliate links.
Peanut butter and coffee?! Promise it's a thing! This smooth and creamy Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Smoothie is a simple and delicious reason to get up in the morning!
This post may contain affiliate links.
This post was originally published August 2018 and updated December 2020.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Smoothie--Breakfast and Coffee in one!
You may be very surprised by the combo of coffee and peanut butter. I was when I had a friend order a peanut butter mocha at the coffee shop. A what?!
Please stay with me, I promise it's a thing.
If you love peanut butter and chocolate then you will love the addition of the coffee! Simple, smooth and creamy-- a breakfast that will fill you up AND put a pep in your step!
Whether it's a cold brew, strong brewed coffee or even a couple espresso shots--coffee in your smoothie is a great idea, so let's do this!
What You need to make this recipe:
- Strong Cold Brewed coffee: the stronger the better in my opinion. There are a lot of ready to go cold brews at the grocery now, but there is nothing like fresh brewed. I assume a shot or two of espresso would be wildly amazing as well in this!
- Vanilla yogurt: some smoothies I do all milk but I went with part milk and part yogurt for extra thick creaminess. Feel free to use a dairy free yogurt if desired.
- Milk: use your favorite. We always have almond milk and whole milk in the house so whatever I can grab wins!
- Sweetener: sweeten to taste. I prefer maple syrup or medjool dates. The dates can add a touch of thickness.
How to make this:
As far as whipping up this peanut butter coffee smoothie, it doesn't take much. Add the milk and the coffee and then add in all the other ingredients on top.
Blend until smooth. If it seems a bit thin, you can add a touch more frozen banana or a couple ice cubes. Add a dollop of whipped cream if you want to go true mocha style, like fresh from the coffee shop!
A Few Things to Note:
- You can make this Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Smoothie vegan using a dairy free yogurt and dairy free milk. There are actually so many vegan yogurts out there these days so you have so many options to choose from really. Let me know your favorite dairy free yogurt!
- Give your smoothie a protein kick--add a scoop of your favorite protein powder. You can also add some chia seeds into the mix if desired. Both are great options to give a protein kick to this refreshing smoothie.
- I often get asked how to make smoothies without bananas. If you want to skip the banana, an avocado is a really great swap. The flavor will obviously be different, but an avocado will add bulk and thickness to it. You can also freeze your avocado to make the smoothie cooler and all the thicker.
Check out these other recipes:
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie with a Kick
- Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie
- Almond Joy Smoothie
- Green Smoothie Muffins
- Kiwi Pineapple Smoothie
- Maple Vanilla Cashew Coffee
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Smoothie
- 1 large frozen banana
- ¼ c strong, cold brewed coffee*
- 1 ½ T peanut butter
- 1 T cocoa powder
- ¼ c vanilla yogurt
- ⅓ c unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2-3 teaspoon maple syrup, or sweetener to taste
- Add all ingredients into a high powered blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and serve immediately.
- Optional add ins: cacao nibs, chia seeds, protein powder, and more!
I don't have coffee at home becausewe are not regular coffee drinkers. What should I use? Can you substitute espresso powder instead of coffee?
Hi! You could. You will want to stir it in hot water to make for the liquid part you would use for coffee but that would still work great!
Just made this for breakfast, I used plant based vanilla yogurt, oats milk, and I mixed 1t of coffee in 1/4 cup of warm water, the frozen banana made this smoothie cool and creamy. A perfect blend! I tried other coffee smoothie recipes but this one is the best.
I didn’t add any sweeteners since the milk, yogurt and banana had sugars.
So happy you loved it, Silvia! I just made it last week and need to much more often!