This Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie is a simple treat full of fresh berries and chocolate. The taste of chocolate dipped strawberries in a thick, creamy smoothie. Makes a great snack to pick up your day.
Chocolate and strawberries often go hand in hand with Valentine's Day.
I don't think this day of hearts and cupid is complete without them. Today, I have a super simple recipe (which I will share as well!) to make chocolate dipped strawberries, but this week I was thinking that taking this recipe to smoothie form could be just what I need!
I love the ease of packing fruits, veggies and protein all into one sippable, creamy drink. This Chocolate Strawberry smoothie in particular makes me feel like a kid. It's pretty much like a milkshake--but a milkshake with a little bit extra, if you know what I mean.
Valentine's Day isn't really a big holiday around our house, but I am all about the chocolate. And if you combine chocolate with strawberries then you are talking about a way to make your day even brighter!
What you need to make this Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie:
- Strawberries: While I typically use a frozen banana in smoothies, I did not use one in this chocolate strawberry smoothie. Frozen strawberries take the place of the usual banana. If you like a thick and cold smoothie, you will want to make sure they are frozen. If you don't have any frozen strawberries, you can toss in some ice cubes. I feel like ice cubes water the flavor of smoothies down, though.
- Strawberry Yogurt: You can use regular or dairy free. Vanilla yogurt works well, too.
- Cocoa Powder: Gimme all the chocolate!
- Milk: Go with your favorite. Whole, almond--or for extra YUM, go with chocolate milk!
- Chia Seeds: These are technically optional, just added these to give the smoothie a boost.
- Maple Syrup: a touch of sweet. I sometimes don't add it.
- Vanilla: Just a hint of vanilla is always a great idea!
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER SMOOTHIE RECIPES:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Smoothie
- Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (you will love this one come fall!)
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie with a Kick
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
- 8-9 frozen strawberries medium to large
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ½ cup strawberry yogurt feel free to use vanilla
- 1 ½ T cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1-2 teaspoon maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Combine all ingredients into a high speed blender and process until smooth. If it seems too thick, add another ¼ cup milk.
- Sip up!
- Garnish with some whipped cream and cacao nibs if you prefer!