Dinner can be ready in just 15 minutes with these ridiculously simple Vegan Sloppy Joes. Made with lentils, peppers, onions and a handful of other pantry basics, dinner is served in no time and is delicious and filling!
Vegan Sloppy Joes–dinner at its quickest.
There are a lot of amazing 30 minute dinner recipes out there. But 15 minute dinner recipes? Not quite as many.
Some days, I just don’t have 30 minutes. These Vegan Sloppy Joes are my go to on those days. Simple, quick, filling, and obviously delicious.
Don’t have 15 minutes? You can even have these in 10 with a few little tweaks. Crazy talk? Nope. Lentils cook up so quick so you really need very little time.
What makes this recipe so simple?
- Canned beans: precooked, canned lentils make it a matter of stirring them in and that’s about it.
- Chop an onion and a pepper and you are set. But wait, no time? I have gotten frozen peppers and onions before and tossed them in. Yea, it really can get easier!
- 10 minutes to cook. That’s all you need. You can certainly allow these sloppy joes to simmer if you would like a bit longer. But you can have these on a bun in 10 if you play your cards right!
What you need to make these vegan sloppy joe’s:
- Skip the chopping, and use frozen green peppers and onions. Sometimes that’s just the day you are having and I get it!
- I have used maple as well as brown sugar. I love both–either one is fine!
- Typically, I use “no salt added” tomato paste and sauce. Add salt to your own liking if you are using either that already has salt.
From there, making these lentil sloppy Joe’s is a matter of
- Heat the peppers and onions.
- Add in the other ingredients and stir.
- Bring to a low boil for 5 minutes and serve!
Any questions? Check out the video in the recipe card!
- Add an extra tablespoon or so to help thicken the sloppy joe’s up if they seem a bit too thin. Allowing them to cook at a low boil a bit longer helps as well.
- I LOVE the flavor the Worcestershire sauce gives this–sometimes I add an extra tablespoon for a stronger flavor.
Serve them on a bun, there’s nothing wrong with that. Take it to the next level though and stuff this amazing recipe in a sweet potato. Now you are really talking!
Check out these other simple dinner recipes:
- Easy Baked Pasta with Spinach
- Simple Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- 20 Minute Black Bean Salsa Soup
- Ramen Cabbage Salad with Peanut Dressing
15 Minute Vegan Sloppy Joes
- 2 15 oz. cans pre-cooked lentils rinsed
- 1 small onion diced small
- 1 bell pepper diced small (red or green are what I have used)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 c ketchup
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp maple or brown sugar optional
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
- In a skillet, heat olive oil, cook garlic, onion, and pepper until onion becomes translucent. (about 2 minutes)
- Add in all other ingredients except lentils, salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Add in lentils and bring mixture to a low boil for about 5 minutes to allow to thicken, stirring several times. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bun, stuffed in potatoes or sweet potatoes, or as desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Add an extra tablespoon or so of tomato paste to help thicken the sloppy joe’s up if they seem a bit too thin. Allowing them to cook at a low boil a bit longer helps as well.