Whipping up a big bowl of soup doesn’t get any easier–this Black Bean Soup recipe is ready and in the bowl in 20 minutes! A jar of your favorite salsa allows you to fine tune this simple, spicy dish to your liking!
Dinner in 20 minutes? It is for real!
In the midst of a busy week when I wasn’t feeling very motivated, I needed a dinner that I could fix super fast and it had to be easy. Obviously I wanted it to be delicious as well. And I also had to make sure that it was something the hubby would be happy to eat.
He loves quesadillas, so I thought I could try to whip up a black bean soup for us as well. Well more like for me and then with my fingers crossed that he would eat it as well.
And, boy was it easy as ever!
If it tastes good and whips up in no time then that’s honestly all I need to know!
3 Easy Steps To this Black Bean Soup
- Process the beans and broth.
- Toss in the salsa and spices.
- Simmer on the stove for 10-15 minutes.
There really isn’t anything easier!!
So here is what you need to make this simple soup:
- black beans: I don’t actually rinse the beans for this recipe. I just drain them. You could rinse if desired. I also use “no salt added” beans. I like to have full control of the amount of salt in my soups, or at least as much as possible.
- broth: I have veggie pictured, but if all you have is chicken broth, I have used it in a pinch and thought it tasted great still.
- salsa: choose your favorite jar. This is where you can add as much fun and spice to your soup.
- garlic: minced–from the jar is ok as well!
- cumin: if your salsa has a lot of flavor, you can start with half of the spices and then add more as desired. The cumin though is where it’s at in black bean soup.
- chili powder: again, add to your liking if the salsa is strong.
- cilantro: black bean soup is never complete without it. Toss it in at the very end!
- salt and pepper
Some ways to vary this Black Bean Soup Recipe:
- Some like it hot, right? Add in some of your favorite hot sauce to really take things up a notch.
- Chop some bell peppers and sauté them in some olive oil before tossing them into the soup for something extra to chew on.
- Stir in a bit of cream for a bit of richness.
- Two words: smoked paprika. This changes everything. Gives it a nice smoky flavor–you may never want to go back. It only takes a dash or two.
Steps to make this black bean salsa soup:
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT:
- WHITE BEAN, KALE AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- CHUNKY ITALIAN VEGETABLE SOUP
- SLOW COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP
- BLACK BEAN AND RICE SOUP
- MAPLE ROASTED SWEET POTATO CARROT SOUP
- SLOW COOKER SWEET POTATO CHILI
- PUMPKIN QUINOA CHILI
- TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
20 Minute Black Bean Soup
- 3 cans of black beans
- 1 16 oz. jar of salsa make it fresh if you aren’t in a pinch!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 – 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 – 3 tsp cumin
- 1/2 T chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c chopped cilantro
- Add two (or 1 1/2 for more whole beans in the soup) cans of drained black beans and 1 cup broth into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Add salsa and pulse several times to combine.
- Transfer to a pot, add the remaining drained beans, broth, spices, salt and pepper and cook on medium for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more vegetable broth if soup is too thick.
- Stir in cilantro and serve with all of your favorite toppings. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.