This simple Maple Roasted Sweet Potato Carrot Soup is a perfect cozy recipe. Thick and creamy, this recipe will be a hit all season long!
This recipe was originally published in October 2015 and updated September 2020.
Isn't there just something about a big bowl of soup that can sloooooow everything down instantly? Warm coziness that you can curl up with, even if it only slows you down for a few minutes.
And a bowl of soup that is chock full of roasted veggies, with a touch of maple and spice, now THAT is something to warm up with!
This simple Maple Roasted Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup is a staple all fall and winter. It pairs perfectly with a grilled cheese or a big piece of warm, crusty bread.
There is no denying what a good bowl of soup does for both the body and the soul!
Why I love this recipe:
- Roasted veggies are a staple all season so I almost always have some around!
- It's cheap! Grab the sweet potatoes in bulk when they are on sale and your broth as well. Carrots are already pretty darn affordable, too!
- It easily pairs with a simple sandwich or salad. Makes for a perfect lunch or small dinner!
What You will Need to make this recipe:
- sweet potatoes
- maple: for the most flavor, make sure you select pure maple syrup versus pancake syrup. They are both sold in the same section of the grocery so just double check the label.
- broth: to make it vegan or plant based, opt for veggie broth. I have made it with both chicken and vegetable broth. I think I prefer the veggie broth, but both are still delicious.
- garlic: I use a hint of garlic powder most of the time. If you prefer cloves, use 1 -2 and pop them in when you blend the soup.
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Notes and Pro-Tips:
- If you have a blender with a soup setting that heats up the soup while it blends, you can make the roasted veggies any time and make the soup later using chilled veggies.
- Add broth slowly so that you don't make the soup thinner than your liking. I like mine pretty thick so I go light to start and then add about ½ cup at a time until it's where I like it.
- This soup freezes well in freezer safe containers. I like to freeze individual servings and then pop them in the microwave for lunch or as a simple dinner side.
You can use a blender or a food processor for this Roasted Sweet Potato Carrot Soup. Also, I ate it cold one day and liked it chilled as well! Enjoy!
Check out these other simple soup recipes:
- White Bean, Kale and Butternut Squash Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Black Bean and Rice Soup
- Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
Maple Glazed Roasted Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
- 4 medium-large sweet potatoes cut into quarters
- 3-4 carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T pure maple syrup
- ½ red onion
- ½ - 1 tsp garlic powder more to taste
- 4 cup vegetable broth or stock
- ¼ tsp pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a parchment lined baking pan, place sweet potatoes, onions and carrots evenly and so that the inside of sweet potato is facing upward.
- Mix olive oil and maple. Brush the mixture to coat the carrots, onions and sweet potatoes evenly.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Once sweet potatoes and carrots have cooled enough for you to pick them up, scoop out the sweet potatoes from the skins and place in high speed blender along with all other ingredients. (No patience? Me niether. I use a kitchen towel to pick up the potaotes and scoop them out almost right away most of the time.)
- Blend until smooth. You can start with 3 cups broth and then add more until desired thickness. (If you have a blender with a soup option that heats it then you are all set to serve)
- If your blender does not heat, place the soup into a pot and heat at medium until heated through.
- Garnish with sliced almonds, a drop of cream or coconut cream and parsley or your favorite option.