Simple and delicious Whole Wheat donuts with a rich chocolate glaze, Greek Yogurt and your favorite donut toppings! Breakfast fun for everyone!
Every now and then a recipe gets lost in the shadows of other recipes and then one day I see it and think, how have I NOT shared this one yet?!
My sincerest apologies for keeping this whole wheat donut recipe from you for so long. It was not my best judgement to keep it on the back burner as it has been sitting in my queue since about October. But don’t they say the best that comes to those who wait? I mean, at least Heinz does!
It’s all about the shape!
First of all, I get it, these are technically just muffins in donut shape, right?
That’s essentially what a baked donut is, but I truly believe that if it is in the shape of a donut then it is always way more fun to eat. And, a chocolate glaze covers much more surface area on a donut than a muffin, so we are keeping this one donut shaped!
When you add Greek Yogurt to the mix, you get a really great texture and much more moist donut than without it. These are fluffy and the perfect sink your teeth in donut.
Please don’t skip the chocolate glaze on these Whole Wheat Donuts!
The chocolate glaze, while technically optional, really is the star of this recipe. I love a good chocolate glaze on my donuts so skipping it is really not the best option, I promise.
Does it have to be whole wheat? Not necessarily. I used whole wheat pastry flour, but I am pretty sure regular flour or a gluten free all purpose flour should substitute nicely.
I topped my donuts with shredded coconut, but feel free to go crazy on toppings: chopped nuts, sprinkles, granola, anything goes.
I was planning on closing this post up with something like “Donut miss out on these…” or some sort of play on the word ‘donut’ but I think it may be better to just pass on that one for today. Anyway, enjoy and let me know what fun toppings you use!
What you will need to make these Whole Wheat Donuts:
- greek yogurt: I used plain Greek yogurt, I have used 2% and 5% milk fat at different times. Vanilla Greek yogurt would work fine as well, for a stronger vanilla flavor.
- whole wheat flour: I have made these with regular and whole wheat pastry flour. Both seem to work well, but I think I prefer the regular whole wheat flour to be honest. I haven’t tried this recipe with regular flour but hope to test it out soon!
- egg: one large egg
- oil: I used canola oil when making these whole wheat donuts.
- baking powder: always, always make sure it is fresh and not expired. This is a big issue often in baked goods.
- baking soda: same goes for the baking soda. The fresher the better.
- milk: When making these greek yogurt donuts, I have always used whole milk. If you use something else and it works well, let me know!
- brown sugar: I opted for brown sugar over white for a richer flavor to balance out the whole wheat flour. I find it to be just the right amount of sweet!
Tips for making this donut recipe:
- These donuts bake up quicker than you think. Don’t over bake them if you can help it. 12 minutes was just right for me!
- My favorite trick is to use an icing bag to form the donuts nicely in the donut pan. I have the photos shown above. Place the bag in a glass and pour the batter in. Then cut the tip off and squeeze the batter into the donut pan. This makes for much less mess.
- Make sure the donuts are fully and completely cooled before glazing. Trust me on this one. Also, you can, and it is advised to dip the donuts twice or dunk them completely in the glaze so that the entire donut is covered. I mean, the more glaze, the better!
- Grease the donut pan very well. You want to make sure the center part is greased as well. No one wants only half the donut coming out of the pan!
- No donut pan? Make mini muffins and glaze them!
Check out these other donuts and baked breakfast recipes!
- TRIPLE VANILLA DONUTS WITH MAPLE GLAZE
- APPLE CINNAMON BAKED DONUTS
- CARROT CAKE OATMEAL DONUTS
- MAPLE BACON FRENCH TOAST MUFFINS
- THE EASIEST HOMEMADE POP TARTS EVER
- STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE MUFFINS
- BANANA BREAD BAKED OATMEAL
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Donuts
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c milk of choice
- 1/3 c plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon optional but I loved it in these even with the glaze!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 T oil
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 3 T cocoa powder
- 2 T milk of choice more if glaze seems too thick
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Toppings of choice: shredded coconut, sprinkles, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, oil, vanilla, yogurt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry donut ingredients. Add dry into wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fill well greased donut baking pan with batter.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- While cooling, whisk together glaze ingredients.
- Once donuts are cool, dip each into the glaze and sprinkle with toppings.
- Allow to set for a few minutes before serving.