This post may contain affiliate links.
These chocolate peanut butter overnight oats are perfect for busy mornings. Whip up several at a time in just 5 minutes and have breakfast ready for you when you wake up. Easily made vegan and gluten free.
This recipe was originally published January 2015 and updated January 2021.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats are every Reese Cup lover's breakfast dream come true.
Rich, creamy peanut butter, chocolate and hearty oats make for a sweet and delicious breakfast that is ready when you wake up.
Why this is the best breakfast:
- It is ready for you when you wake up. We are tired enough in the morning. Don't make thinking about breakfast another thing to do. It's all set and ready if you opt for these chocolate peanut butter overnight oats!
- Super kid friendly. Tastes like a treat, but really is great fuel for the morning. The kids will love it too!
- Easy to meal prep. We like to make several at a time and then have grab and go meals in the morning.
- Peanut butter and chocolate, hello! I mean, this is a classic flavor. PB and chocolate are always better together.
Peanut butter in my overnight oats is truly one of my favorite things. From Peanut Butter Banana Protein Oats, to Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Overnight Oats, and don't forget Peanut Butter Cheesecake Overnight Oatmeal. Yes, CHEESECAKE.
What you will need:
- Opt for gluten free rolled oats if needed. Plenty of options out there these days!
- Any milk works. Typically we have vanilla almond milk or whole milk in the house. So whichever I need to use up is what I use. Feeling extra crazy? Chocolate almond milk is DELICIOUS.
How to make these:
Nothing to it. These Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats can probably even be whipped up with your eyes closed.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl or jar.
- Stir well.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
That is it! I would say it is easier than 1, 2, 3 even.
Notes and Tips:
- Can these Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight oats be made vegan? Absolutely! Use a dairy free milk and opt for maple instead of honey. You should be all set!
- Sweeten this recipe to your liking and with the sweetener you prefer. I LOVE maple syrup. Not your favorite? Use what you love. Honey, sugar, whatever works best!
- You can meal prep several servings of this overnight oatmeal at a time. I typically make several at a time and have them ready to go when I need them. These are usually great for about 3-5 days in the fridge.
- Chia seeds are always optional. I add them to give a fiber and protein boost. Not your thing? Skip them! Don't have any? Skip them! You will still have a great breakfast, promise.
One of my favorite one-stop shop to get ingredients for my overnight oats is through Thrive Market. Affordable, good food delivered to your door. The best part? They will match a price on a product if you find it cheaper elsewhere! Start saving with Thrive today!
Check out these other flavors:
- Coconut Cream Pie Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Muffin Overnight Oats
- Banana Bread Overnight Oats
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats regular or gluten free
- 2-3 teaspoon peanut butter or any nut or seed butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon pure maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup milk of choice
- Dash of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds optional
- Combine all ingredients in small jar or bowl that can be sealed. Stir well and then cover.
- Refrigerate overnight. Serving options: serve with a sprinkle of cocoa nibs, extra peanut butter drizzle, dark chocolate chips, or sliced banana.
- Sweeten these overnight oats with your preferred sweetener and use the maple syrup as a guide. Everyone has a different preferred level of sweet.
- I had 2 teaspoon of shredded coconut in this recipe for a long time, feel free to add it, but it is not everyone's favorite so moved it to the notes as an option!
Super yummy, super easy! Topped with mini chocolate chips and peanut butter, didn’t even feel like I was eating breakfast!
Right?! Glad you enjoyed this!
Have you ever tried the dried peanut butter powder (PB2) instead of regular peanut butter? Do you have to adjust anything else if you do that?
I think you would be just fine with that. If it seems too thick in the morning, just add some extra milk and you will be good to go!
super yummy, I usually triple the recipe.
Yes! That is what I typically do as well!
Where are the jars you’re using from? They’re adorable!!
Hi! These are my favorite. They are Weck Jars. These are the tulip jar. You can get them online at World Market individually I think. Otherwise most places sell a lot together.
These overnight oats turned out AMAZING! The consistency was perfect and flavor was great.
Yay! So happy to hear this Jenna! Thanks so much!
I made my first ever batch of overnight oats using your recipe. It was the first time I have ever eaten overnight oats and I was a bit skeptical on how the texture would turn out. It was FABULOUS! I added Greek yogurt to the main recipe and it was a little thick so I may add a splash of milk in the morning next time. I added fresh sliced bananas to the top and it made it even better! Thank you for sharing a recipe that I couldn’t resist trying! It’s a much healthier option than my typical pop tarts or waffles for breakfast. I’m looking forward to trying a few more of your overnight oats recipes to expand my options even more!
Thanks so much for sharing Kristie. I don't know what my life would be without overnight oats!! They really help so much in the mornings since they are ready to go. And yes, a good splash of milk in the morning always helps!!
First time trying over night oats ! Loved this recipe . All I had was quick oats. I also didn’t have any of the extra add ins. Still very tasty !!
Glad to hear the quick oats worked well. I have used them as well before but sometimes I have to adjust the amount of milk in them. Thanks for sharing, Alexis!
Rosie Adams says
Hey, Just wondering how you store these when you make a batch. Might sound like a silly question and sorry if its haha! Is it in an airtight container?
Doesn't sound silly at all! Any airtight container will do just fine! Enjoy my friend!