Skip the bun and have your BBQ in a tortilla! These Simple BBQ Chicken Tacos are slow cooked and topped with a creamy simple slaw. Slow cooker tacos are a win every time!
This recipe was originally published June 2017. Photos and post were updated April 2020.
BBQ Chicken Tacos
We like BBQ Sauce in our house--a LOT. And we love trying all different flavors and brands all summer long. BBQ chicken is a weekly occurrence at dinner time and so why not have it in the form of tacos to make things a bit different, right?
You may be used to your BBQ on a bun, but trust me, wrap it up in a flour tortilla and top it with this creamy, simple slaw and you are gonna be CHANGED.
Juicy BBQ flavor is clearly the main reason I love these tacos, but it's my slow cooker doing what it does best that makes me love them all the more.
Why you need these tacos in your life:
- They are so simple to make. Toss all the ingredients into the slow cooker and essentially you can walk away until dinner. That's my kind of meal--every time.
- You can make them using a different BBQ sauce every time. That's right, it will never be exactly the same twice--unless you want it that way!
- Feed a crowd--in shifts. I get it, it's not always easy for everyone to sit down together, but the slow cooker can sit on warm for the evening and the crew can put together a few tacos when they need to. No need to nuke anything.
What you need to make these BBQ Chicken Tacos:
- I have used thawed as well as frozen chicken breasts for these chicken tacos. Both came out delicious. I use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is 165°F. The frozen chicken will take a bit longer, but not an extensive amount of time in comparison.
- Sometimes I chop up a jalapeño as well as a bell pepper to bring up the heat.
The slaw is pretty basic as well--just some cole slaw mix, mayo, sour cream, lime juice and seasoning.
You don't have to top these Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos with this slaw, but I think the tacos are just not the same without it.
How to make this recipe:
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker and season with the salt, pepper and garlic. Dice the pepper and onion and toss them in with the chicken. I typically surround the chicken with the pepper and onion. (steps 1 and 2)
- Pour BBQ sauce over chicken and vegetables and spread to cover. (step 3)
- Cook on low 5-6 hours or on high 3-4 hours. When chicken reaches internal temperature of 165°F use two forks to shred the chicken It should come apart very easily. Sometimes I toss in some extra BBQ sauce at this time to thicken it up. (step 4 and below)
- For the slaw--simply toss everything together in a bowl and toss to combine. Chill for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- My husband will NOT eat tacos without cheese so I add some cheese on top of these BBQ chicken tacos and the slaw on top of that with extra extra cilantro when I put the tacos together.
Try these other Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Slow Cooker / Instant Pot Carnitas
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Crock Pot Sweet Potato Chili
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Tacos with Simple Slaw
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts
- ⅔ c BBQ sauce
- 1 green bell pepper small diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
For the Simple Slaw:
- 4 c cole slaw mix
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- ¼ c Greek yogurt (sour cream will work as well)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cracked pepper
- ¼ sea salt
- ¼ c chopped cilantro
- Place chicken into slow cooker and season with garlic, sea salt and pepper.
- Add pepper and onion and then cover with BBQ sauce.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- When chicken is cooked through, or before serving, using two forks, shred the chicken as it should pull apart easily. Add extra BBQ sauce to thicken up if desired.
- Stir to allow to soak up the extra sauce and allow to cook for about 15-20 more minutes. During this time, toss all ingredients together to make the slaw and chill for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with your other favorite taco toppings and enjoy!