Move over cranberry sauce! These Individual Cranberry Orange Crisps are a simple cozy fall treat bursting with flavor. A rich, buttery oat crisp topping goes perfect with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a commission.
Ok, ok, I wasn't being honest there--cranberry sauce can certainly stay--we can do both this Thanksgiving! But it will be perfectly acceptable to have cranberries with dinner as well as dessert with these Cranberry Orange Crisps!
When it comes to dessert, especially holiday desserts, we typically have a big table full of all sort of options. Pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie, cookies, promise I could go on but I figure you get the point. We all grab our favorites on our own since there are so many of us running all over the place.
So in thinking of the way we serve dessert, I decided that individual crisps would make for a more user friendly experience when dessert time rolls around. That way all anyone has to do is add a scoop of ice cream and dig in. Not too bad, wouldn't you say?
I mentioned recently that it's all things cranberry once the holiday season rolls around for me. I do enjoy cranberry sauce--the kind with big juicy cranberries. I am not really up for the cranberry mold, but I get there is a place for that kind as well.
So let's talk a bit more about the recipe:
- I used fresh cranberries. I imagine you could use frozen as well, but I would thaw them a bit beforehand.
- Gluten free oats and flour should work just fine in this recipe if needed. Just use a 1:1 all purpose flour.
- The number of servings may vary slightly depending on the size jar or dish you use. I used 1 cup jars and was able to make about 5-6 servings.
- Easily double the recipe for more guests or use smaller jars for smaller portions.
- If you make these ahead of time and they have cooled, warm them in the oven before serving for best results.
And as always, a nice warm crisp is perfect with a scoop of ice cream--and so are these Cranberry Orange Crisps!
Looking for more ways to add some cranberry to your holiday season? Check these recipes out!
For the Cranberry Orange Filling:
- 4 c cranberries, fresh
- 1/3 c sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 T corn starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Crisp Topping:
- 3/4 c rolled oats
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 c butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ingredients for the cranberry orange filling. Spoon evenly into 5-6 approx. 1 cup lightly greased baking dishes or ramekins.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt. Using a fork or a pastry cutter (or let's be honest, your hands!), cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the oats.
- Sprinkle oat topping evenly over the individual crisps. Place on top of baking sheet and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until browned as desired.
- Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.