This post may contain affiliate links.
This simple Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots is a perfect breakfast or brunch recipe for tater tot LOVERS. A fluffy egg layer with ham, cheddar and peppers topped with crispy tater tots--literally tots in every bite! 10 minutes to prep and something the whole family will love!
Tater tots make everything taste better! This easy breakfast casserole topped with layers of tater tots and cheese is a perfect brunch recipe that will surely be the star of the spread.
Sweet breakfast casseroles like French Toast Casseroles are our preference, but this recipe has quickly stolen our hearts!
Why you will love this recipe:
- It is so simple to prep. All you really need to do is whisk everything together and then layer tater tots over the breakfast casserole before baking. The only veggie in need of chopping is the pepper so it's all in all a breeze to put together.
- Crispy tater tots literally in every bite. There is not a SINGLE bite that doesn't include a tater tot. The egg layer bakes up into the tots and makes for the perfect flavor in each and every bite.
- You can prep it ahead of time. Easily get everything ready for this breakfast casserole with tater tots the night or day before. Then layer the tots over top before baking. Throw in some honey biscuits to the mix, and you will be prepped and ready for one heck of a meal!
- Lots of kitchen staples. Everything in this recipe, aside from the ham is an ingredient we always have in the kitchen. We are never without two bags of tater tots in the freezer.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- I used diced ham in this breakfast casserole with tater tots, but you could use any pre-cooked breakfast meat or even a meat substitution. Sausage would be amazing. Or you can skip the meat entirely.
- I prefer whole milk in this casserole, but you should be fine using any other milk. You could even use a dairy free milk--almond milk would be a great option to sub for dairy free milk.
- Feel free to use whatever veggie you have on hand versus the green pepper. If you have another color bell pepper that is fine. A handful of chopped spinach would be great too.
- Any shredded cheese should work as well. I love a classic cheddar cheese in this recipe, but easily switch up the flavors just by changing the cheese!
- You want to use frozen tater tots. If you decide to prep this in advance, add the tots only just before baking.
How to make this:
- Preheat the oven. Whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add in the sour cream and whisk until it is combined--if there are a few specks of sour cream still hanging around, it's ok. (step 1)
- Add in the ham, one cup of cheese, and diced pepper and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a 9x13 inch pan sprayed with oil. If you want your tater tots extra crispy, you will want to add all of the cheese here versus topping it over the tater tots toward the end of baking. (steps 2-3)
- Arrange the frozen tater tots on top of the egg mixture in a single layer. Cover the entire pan with the tots. (step 4)
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes, until the tator tots are golden brown and egg is baked through. In the last 5 minutes, add the remaining cheese and bake to melt.
Notes and tips:
- For extra crispy tater tots, skip the cheese on top. Add all of the cheese to the egg mixture or just omit the extra cheese. You could also sprinkle it on top of the tots after removing from the oven.
- Use regular sized tots for this breakfast casserole with tater tots versus mini tots for best results. The mini tots will bake faster and potentially burn.
Check out these other breakfast recipes:
- Spinach Zucchini Egg Muffins
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Frittata
- Blueberry Muffin Baked Oatmeal
- Simple Honey Biscuits
- Cinnamon Roll Baked French Toast
- Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for all the latest!
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots
- 8 large eggs
- 1 c milk
- ⅓ c sour cream
- 1 green bell pepper, small diced
- 16 oz. diced ham
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 oz package frozen tater tots you will only need about ¾ of the bag
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth. Add in the sour cream and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Stir in one cup cheddar, diced pepper and ham. Pour the egg mixture into a 9x13 inch pan sprayed with oil. Layer the frozen tater tots evenly to cover the egg mixture.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until egg is cooked through and tots are golden and crispy. In the last 5 minutes, sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake to melt. Serve topped with sour cream and your favorite breakfast dishes.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- For extra crispy tator tots, skip the cheese on top. Add all of the cheese to the egg mixture or just omit the extra cheese. You could also sprinkle it on top of the tots after removing from the oven.
- Use regular sized tots for this breakfast casserole with tator tots versus mini tots for best results. The mini tots will bake faster and potentially burn.
Lori Ritchie says
Hi could this casserole be frozen after baking?
Hi! Yes, you should be ok freezing it in a freezer safe, air tight container for up to 2 months.