Simple and delicious, this Balsamic Cranberry Chutney Recipe is a great addition to any holiday meal. Juicy apples, golden raisins, orange zest, and a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon will compliment your festive dinner!
You are either team cranberry or you are team “get them away from me.” There really is no in between when it comes to the little ruby reds.
This Balsamic Cranberry Chutney Recipe could even bring some of the haters to the other side. Seriously. But not all of them–I know there are some major anti-crans out there!
I am going to keep this short and sweet today considering Thanksgiving is less than 48 hours away. Yep. There is always a recipe that barely nudges it’s way in super last minute.
This year it is this cranberry chutney recipe.
So what is the difference between cranberry chutney and cranberry sauce?
This answer was not as easy to find as I had hoped. From what I could piece together though, cranberry sauce is typically sweeter than a chutney. Chutneys tend to have a slight savory flavor to them–this can come from vinegars. A chutney can be much chunkier with the addition of other fruits or even vegetables.
I have made a cranberry chutney before that is somewhat similar to this one, but this go I decided to add in balsamic vinegar and give it a whirl. Then you toss in big juicy chunks of apples, golden raisins, brown sugar and a touch of cinnamon and you are ready to roll!
Let me tell you I ate this cranberry chutney by the spoonful! No Turkey dinner needed.
Why do I love a good cranberry chutney recipe?
They are so simple, that’s why! It’s really a matter of bringing everything together in a pot to boil and then allowing it to simmer until thick.
I always though cranberry sauces or chutneys like this would be much more work. But they really are simple to make. And a great balance to the rich holiday foods.
TRY THESE OTHER HOLIDAY RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
- SIMPLE APPLE SAGE STUFFING
- WARM BRIE CROSTINI WITH CRANBERRY CHUTNEY
- CRANBERRY PECAN SWEET POTATO BITES
- POMEGRANATE, ROSEMARY AND BRIE STUFFED CRESCENT ROLLS
- INSTANT POT GARLIC PARMESAN MASHED POTATOES
- ROASTED SWEET POTATO CRANBERRY QUINOA
- NO BAKE PUMPKIN CRUMBLE BARS
- SNICKERDOODLE CHEESECAKE STUFFED CRESCENT WREATH
- PUMPKIN PIE CRUMBLE
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
Balsamic Cranberry Chutney Recipe
- 1 12 oz. package fresh cranberries
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 c orange juice (freshly squeezed or store bought)
- zest of one orange
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1 apple small diced
- 1/2 c golden raisins
- 1/2 – 1 tsp of cinnamon (more to taste)
- In a sauce pan, combine all ingredients for the chutney and stir. Bring to a boil on medium high, stirring occasionally until cranberries begin to pop.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow to heat for approximately 15 minutes stirring occasionally or until thickened.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill until cooled. You can make the chutney 1-2 days ahead of time. Top with extra orange zest or chopped pecans if desired