This easy Homemade Almond Joy Bar recipe have all the chocolate and coconut goodness of your favorite candy--no bake and ready in no time. Perfect for parties, a treat at home or for that special someone to share!
Homemade Almond Joy Bars--Can't Beat Them!
Homemade candy is the best, oh wait, candy sent with love, homemade or not is the best.
When I was little, every year on Valentine's Day, my dad used to leave a little heart shaped box of chocolates in the morning before work for each of us. Sometimes he would set the boxes on our chairs at the kitchen table, and other times the boxes would be on the table. Each would have our name written in permanent marker in his very distinct handwriting. The only thing I really cared about in my box was the piece with the coconut in it. When you combine dark chocolate and gooey sweet coconut, it is perfection.
This same treat that Dad used to give me I can now make homemade at home, even when Valentine's Day is not one bit close. Every bite of these goodies brings me back to my childhood. All I needed was the chocolate and the coconut and I was all set. What about you? Which chocolate in your little heart shaped box do you love the most? I mean, don't worry, I will still take the rest of the chocolates as well, but some Homemade Almond Joy Bars will do me just fine for now!
These little treats are soooo super simple to make. And they are delish. Toss a few of ingredients into the food processor, roll them into balls and then dunk them in chocolate. Treat is ready and belly is happy. And everyone around you will be happy too. If you share, that is! It is not a requirement, but recommended.
Love making your own candy? These Peanut Butter Cup Truffles taste just like a Reese Cup--oh wait, they taste even better! I love chocolate coated peanut butter and coconut. Can't go wrong with either!
Homemade Almond Joy Bars
For the Center (Regular Version):
- 2 ½ c shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ⅔ c sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the Center (Vegan Version)
- 2 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 -4 T maple syrup (If you use sweetened coconut, skip this!) depending on desired sweetness
- 3 T coconut oil melted
For the Coating
- 1 1/2 c dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk will work too, dairy free for vegan.)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- approx. 18 whole almonds
For Regular Version:
- Combine coconut, vanilla and condensed milk in a medium bowl and stir well to combine. If the mixture seems dry, you can add another tablespoon of condensed milk if desired. (You can freeze for about 10-20 minutes for ease of rolling into balls.)
- Roll into tight balls or logs and place on parchment. Freeze once again for about 10-20 minutes.
For Vegan Version:
- Combine coconut, coconut oil, maple, and vanilla in food processor for about 30-45 seconds.
- Form small oblong balls with the mixture and place on parchment paper lined plate.
- Freeze for 10-15 minutes to set.
Chocolate Coating (Both Versions):
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil and mix well together.
- Once coconut pieces have set, dip and coat with chocolate and place back on parchment paper. Press one almond into the top of each piece.
- Refrigerate to set and enjoy!