Looking for a fun tasty and simple snack? This Vegan Chickpea Cookie Dough is where it’s at! Simple and delicious with an extra energy and fiber boost! Happy snacking!
Eating cookie dough was always a No-No in our house
Eating cookie dough was probably close to a cardinal sin in our household growing up due to the raw egg, but I am pretty sure that never kept us from sneaking a spoonful (sorry mom!), or ten, ha!
And as a grown up, nothing has changed, I still want to lick the bowl!
Wouldn’t it be amazing if there was a cookie dough you could just eat by the spoonful?
Of course! And there is! I have actually seen it sold at the grocery in small pints to just eat or bake, and it’s egg free. I love love love my cookie dough but recently I saw that they are now saying to even avoid uncooked flour so I figure this vegan chickpea cookie dough has to be super safe! I mean, don’t worry, I still eat my fair share of cookie dough. I guess I am just a rebel, right?
I was inspired by Running on Real Food’s 2 ingredient cookie dough that used sweet potatoes as a base–how genius! And since beans have been my new cashew these days, I decided to go with chickpeas. And the texture and taste were amazing! And trust me, being vegan is NOT a requirement to eat this vegan chickpea cookie dough. Promise!
I made this for a vegan friend who wanted a snack that was fun and tasty and would also fill her up. I have to say this is all of the above and more! Assuming that you agree??
You don’t have to make it vegan, it’s great anyway. Use regular chocolate chips with milk as well as your favorite milk, it doesn’t have to be a milk alternative by any means!
Is this Vegan Chickpea Cookie Dough Safe to Eat?
Absolutely 100% YES! Recently, I have noticed it is not recommended to eat uncooked flour. Since this cookie dough recipe doesn’t contain any flour, then you should pretty much be all good and in the clear!
Do I have to use chickpeas for this Vegan Chickpea Cookie Dough?
Well, if you want it to be chickpea cookie dough then I assume you would want to use them. However, it is not necessary. Any mild, light colored bean such as northern or cannelloni beans may work as well.
I don’t think you would want to use any colored bean as it will not really look like cookie dough then. The use of chickpeas makes the color similar to traditional cookie dough.
What you will need to make this Vegan Chickpea Cookie Dough:
- Chickpeas: these should be from a can or cooked and cooled.
- Peanut Butter: I prefer for all of my recipes to use natural creamy peanut butter. You know, the drippy kind of peanut butter. It’s so much easier to mix and incorporate into recipes overall. You should be just fine though if you prefer almond or cashew butter or even sunflower seed butter.
- Maple Syrup: My preferred liquid sweetener hands down, every time.
- Vanilla: What cookie dough doesn’t include it?
- Milk or Dairy Free Milk: This will help balance out any issues with it being too thick or too dry.
- Sea salt: just a touch is all you need!
- Chocolate Chips: The best part, right? I used mini chocolate chips but feel free to use regular morsels.
How to serve this vegan chickpea cookie dough:
- Straight from the spoon. Works for me every single time!
- Spread on graham crackers, pretzels, or even a strawberry.
- Roll the dough into little chickpea cookie dough balls. You can then toss them into some ice cream to make homemade cookie dough ice cream or take them as a simple snack wherever you are headed.
- Not gonna lie, I have actually spread a little onto a bar like a Lara Bar and I was not disappointed!
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
Vegan Chickpea Cookie Dough
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed
- 1/4 – 1/3 c pure maple syrup
- 1/2 c peanut butter (or any nut or seed butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 T unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- dash of sea salt
- 2 T mini chocolate chips
- Add all ingredients except milk and chocolate chips and process until smooth and thick. Slowly add in milk if necessary.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- No need to wait, eat it by the spoonful now!
- Store in the fridge!