This Red, White and Blue Milkshake is a pretty but simple way to get you into the patriotic mood with layers of red, white and blue!
Do you know what day tomorrow is?? Well, first, it’s my grandpa’s birthday and he will be 87 years young. Second, it’s the first of two patriotic holidays coming up over the next several weeks so it calls for a patriotic treat. It’s Flag Day! I always think I am so funny when I call my grandpa on his birthday and wish him Happy Flag Day and then he jokes back that there’s another reason the day is so special and I laugh and tell him, I know, I know.
I think it’s kind of cool that the 4th of July and Flag Day are so close, don’t you? The interesting thing about Flag Day is that it all started due to an elementrary school teacher. She was planning a Flag Birthday on June 14, 1885 to celebrate with her class. From there, it kept catching on and being declared by mayors, governers, etc. until it became official in 1916 by Woodrow Wilson. Thanks, teach. It only takes one person.
You are welcome for the history lesson today!
And now let’s celebrate, my grandpa’s birthday and Flag Day all at once! With this gorgeous and surprisingly simple layered milkshake! There really isn’t a whole lot to this one. All you need is ice cream, milk and some berries–and a little bit of patience. You can easily use dairy free ice cream if you like as well as dairy free milk. I happened to have vanilla almond milk when I made this and it made the flavor amazing in my opinion!
So here’s to the red, white and blue! And sipping on it too!
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 3 splashes of milk
- 2/3 c blueberries
- 5-7 strawberries
- whipped cream, optional
- In a blender combine blueberries, 2 scoops of ice cream and a splash of milk. Blend until smooth. Add more milk if too thick.
- Pour into two separate glasses. (I used champagne flutes which worked well, but any should do.)
- Freeze for about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 scoops of vanilla and 1 splash of milk to blender and blend until smooth. Adjust milk if needed and then pour evenly on top of blueberry layer. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Combine 2 scoops of ice cream and splash of milk along with strawberries to blender and blend until smooth. Pour on top of vanilla layer. Add whipped topping to garnish, admire your beautiful work and then get to sipping!