Wholesome Whole Wheat Blueberry Flax Pancakes are fluffy and delicious even with all the whole grains. Fresh blueberries, whole wheat flour and ground flax are the star of this simple breakfast recipe everyone will love!
Recipe originally published March 2015. Recipe and images updated February 2020.
Saturdays are for Pancakes.
We don't have a lot of slow Saturday mornings around our house, but when we do, we want pancakes! And when it comes to breakfast, there is something to be said about a warm, fluffy stack of pancakes.
I will be more than honest about the fact that I am 100% known to go for the pancake mix--as in the just add milk sort of mix on a regular basis. I am not too proud to admit it!
I love all the new whole grain and protein pancakes mixes out there that give your stack a boost in energizing ingredients. Especially for those days you don't have the luxury of sitting on the couch all morning after eating your butter and maple covered pancakes.
I don't think we ever have that luxury. Ever. At least not for a while with the little guy running all over the place each and every day--not one bit complaining!
The real issue with all these new pancake mixes? The cost! Waaaaaay too expensive to become an every Saturday habit. No worries though, we can still easily make some good, whole grain flax pancakes from scratch. And they are so simple--not as simple as just add water, but you will be ok, promise.
Flax for the win!
I have flax around and use it often for my FAVORITE Energy Bites. I know it's great as an egg substitute, but I don't use it often for that. So I typically have a bunch of flax just hanging out in the pantry and nothing but energy bites to make.
So why not throw some into your pancakes, right? Seemed like a great idea. Flax will add some extra goodness the morning for sure. There's a long list of benefits to eating flax, if you are into that sort of thing. Read at your own leisure.
A little extra oomph to your breakfast--no one is gonna argue with that, right? Blueberry Flax Pancakes will surely be met with happy faces. So enjoy some good whole grains, juicy blueberries and all the flax fun this morning.
Ingredients to make these Blueberry Flax Pancakes:
- whole wheat flour
- baking powder
- sea salt
Can I make these Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes vegan?
You could totally use oil instead of the butter and a dairy free milk for these blueberry pancakes. As far as subbing for the egg, I would suggest using a flax egg--1 tablespoon flaxmeal, whisked with 3 tablespoon water and then chilled for about 15-20 minutes to allow it to congeal.
I have not tested these using a flax egg, so if you give it a try, let me know how it goes for you!
Check out these other Pancake and Breakfast Recipes:
- Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Dairy Free Buttermilk Pancakes
- Easy Greek Yogurt Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes
- Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes
Whole Wheat Blueberry Flax Pancakes
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Whisk together all of the wet ingredients. If batter seems too thick, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until desired thickness. The batter is naturally somewhat thick.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir. Try not to overstir when it comes to pancakes or they will be flat. Lumps in the batter is still okay.
- Cook on a griddle over a medium heat until edges bubble and flip. Cook to desired golden brown.
- Serve warm with extra berries on top and real maple syrup.