Protein Packed Baked Mac and Cheese
A simple and delicious protein packed macaroni and cheese recipe that is so comforting.
- 8 oz. chickpea pasta or pasta of choice
- 2 c your favorite shredded cheddar
- ¾ c plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 - 1½ c whole milk
- ½ c panko/breadcrumbs gluten free if needed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dash of paprika
- dash of crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F
Boil and cook pasta as directed by box instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine milk and Greek yogurt over medium heat. Whisk continuously until combined. You can also add a tablespoon or two of butter to this mixture if desired.
Slowly add in 1 ½ c cheese and whisk until cheese is melted. Stir in spices and seasonings and whisk to combine. Add the cheese sauce to the pasta and stir to combine.
Pour cheesy pasta into a small (8x8, 9x9 or a casserole dish) baking pan that has been greased with spray oil.
Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese (more as desired) and panko or breadcrumbs.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese on top is melted and browned and pasta is lightly bubbling.
- Use freshly shredded cheese. Packaged shredded cheese is coated in cellulose and doesn't melt quite the same as cheese right off the block.
- Don't over cook your noodles. You can drain the pasta when it is still a touch chewy especially when baking it. This will keep the pasta from becoming mushy or soggy when cooking more in the oven.
- Choose pasta that allows for the most possible cheese in every bite. Shells are great because they have little cheese pockets! Any short pasta that will hold more cheese is always a great idea.
- You don't have to use chickpea pasta. There are other protein pastas as well you may prefer!
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 557mg | Potassium: 221mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 544IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 451mg | Iron: 4mg