Maple Bacon French Toast Muffins
Take breakfast on the road with these Maple Bacon French Toast Muffins--sweet and savory, crispy bacon added into baked fluffy French Toast muffins. Easily taken on the go, but even better when you can sit down and enjoy them with an extra drizzle of maple syrup!
For the Maple Bacon
- 6 strips thick cut bacon
- 2 T maple syrup
- 2 T brown sugar
For the Muffins
- 4 eggs large
- 1/2 c plus 1 T milk of choice regular or dairy free
- 1 T brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1-2 T maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6-7 pieces bread I used wide pan bread, if pieces are smaller, you will want to use 7, possibly 8
Line bacon on a foil lined baking sheet. Whisk together maple and brown sugar together. Spread onto each strip of bacon to coat. Place in oven (do not preheat!) and set to 350°F. Bake for about 20 minutes or until bacon is cooked through and starting to become crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes before chopping into small pieces.
Once bacon is ready, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, maple, and brown sugar.
Cut bread into about 1 - 1 1/2 in. pieces.
Add bread into egg mixture and stir to allow bread to soak up all the liquid. Fold in chopped bacon.
Spoon bread and egg mixture into greased or lined muffin tins, pressing the mixture gently down to keep any air bubbles or space from being made between bread pieces.
Bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Cool for several minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- The biggest thing you want to know is to press the bread pieces into the muffin tin well so that they will form and hold together. I also press and form to muffin tops so they somewhat resemble a muffin!
- While you can technically eat these with your hands and on the go, I highly suggest you pop these on plates and add an extra drizzle of maple syrup.
- If you find that not all of the bread is fully soaked in the egg mixture, you can add a splash of milk to help moisten any extra pieces of bread.
- Feel free to use gluten free bread and also dairy free milk to make dietary adjustments to your need.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 437mg | Potassium: 212mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 2mg