Tomato Tortellini Soup
Simple and hearty, this Tomato Tortellini Soup is a great recipe for dinner when you need some good comfort food that will fill you up. Stove top and Slow cooker variations to fit your need!
- 1 24 oz. jar marinara
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 14.5 can tomatoes (not drained)
- 3 T tomato paste, more or less for desired thickness
- 2 handfuls Spinach
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil (Italian seasoning works too!)
- 4 -5 c broth
- ¼ teaspoon Red pepper
- 1 8-12oz. Tortellini package
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil (for stove top)
For Stove Top:
Over medium high heat, heat olive oil. Sauté garlic and onion until translucent.
Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and spices (including salt and pepper). Stir to combine. Add in the spinach and allow it to cook down into the soup. Turn the stove to medium low and allow to heat at a light bubble for about 10 minutes.
Several minutes before ready to serve, toss in tortellini and allow to cook until softened. Add more tomato paste to thicken the broth or if you prefer your soup more broth based, you can even add more broth.
Enjoy with fresh basil, garlic bread and your favorite shredded parmesan cheese!
For Slow Cooker:
Combine all ingredients into slow cooker except for tortellini. Cook on low 4-6 hours or High 2-3 hours.
Add in tortellini about 10 minutes before serving and allow to cook until al dente. Serve with your favorite garnishes!
- Make this super creamy with a few tablespoons of heavy cream. Stir it in after adding the tortellini.
- The thing I find to be the best part of this recipe is using a jar of your favorite marinara sauce. This allows you to really make it your own. And you can switch up the type each time you make it! We loooooove Newman's Sockarooni the most but I have made this also with a spicy marinara and that was fun.
- The tortellini can also be any flavor you love. Another way to fine tune this one and switch things up every time. We love using a four cheese but a spinach and ricotta or something meaty for Anthony are coming soon to our home.
- Don't overcook the tortellini. You will definitely want to wait until just before serving to add the tortellini for best results.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 3273mg | Potassium: 1968mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 3615IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 204mg | Iron: 8mg