Avocado Pesto Pasta
Creamy Avocado Pesto Pasta is a perfect recipe to whip up in no time for dinner. Parmesan, fresh basil, walnuts and a few other ingredients are all you need for a simple dinner the whole family will love!
- 12 oz. pasta
- 2 very ripe avocados
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ c freshly shredded parmesan
- ⅓ c extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ - ½ tsp crushed red pepper or less if you don't like a lot of spice
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- ¼ c reserved pasta water
Cook spaghetti according to package.
Reserve about ¼ c of the water pasta was cooked in when draining and set aside.
Add all ingredients for pesto into a food processor. Process until smooth.
Add desired amount of pesto to freshly drained pasta and toss to coat evenly.
Heat over low heat for about 2-3 minutes so sauce warms.
Slowly add in a tablespoon at a time of the reserved water to thin out the sauce if it seems thick. If not discard the water and serve immediately.
- If you want this avocado pesto to be 100% vegetarian, make sure your parmesan is truly vegetarian. I learned that most parmesans are made with an animal product. The more you know, right? Who knew!
- I always suggest starting with one garlic clove and then adding more to taste. Pesto has some strong flavors and while garlic is amazing, you don't want it to overpower your avocado pesto.
- This is the kind of pesto you eat up right away or within a few days. The lemon juice will help keep it from browning too much but you can also press plastic wrap into the pesto and then cover it. This will help keep the avocado from browning.
Calories: 571kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 647mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 640IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 2mg