Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Donuts
Simple and delicious Whole Wheat donuts with a rich chocolate glaze, Greek Yogurt and your favorite donut toppings! Breakfast fun for everyone!
Servings: 12 small donuts
- 1 large egg
- ½ c milk of choice
- ⅓ c plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- ½ c brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon optional but I loved it in these even with the glaze!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 T oil
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 3 T cocoa powder
- 2 T milk of choice more if glaze seems too thick
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Toppings of choice: shredded coconut, sprinkles, etc.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, oil, vanilla, yogurt and sugar.
In a separate bowl, whisk dry donut ingredients. Add dry into wet ingredients and stir to combine.
Fill well greased donut baking pan with batter.
Bake for about 12-14 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
While cooling, whisk together glaze ingredients.
Once donuts are cool, dip each into the glaze and sprinkle with toppings.
Allow to set for a few minutes before serving.
- These donuts bake up quicker than you think. Don't over bake them if you can help it. 12 minutes was just right for me!
- My favorite trick is to use an icing bag to form the donuts nicely in the donut pan. I have the photos shown above. Place the bag in a glass and pour the batter in. Then cut the tip off and squeeze the batter into the donut pan. This makes for much less mess.
- Make sure the donuts are fully and completely cooled before glazing. Trust me on this one. Also, you can, and it is advised to dip the donuts twice or dunk them completely in the glaze so that the entire donut is covered. I mean, the more glaze, the better!
- Grease the donut pan very well. You want to make sure the center part is greased as well. No one wants only half the donut coming out of the pan!
- No donut pan? Make mini muffins and glaze them!
Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 113mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1mg