Dark Chocolate Peppermint Puppy Chow
Your favorite Chex Mix got a Christmas makeover--this Christmas Puppy Chow has the peppermint chocolate combo that the holidays are made of! Add some festive red and green M&M's to really get festive!
- 8 c Rice Chex cereal
- 2 c dark chocolate chips
- 2 T butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 c mint M&Ms
- 1 ½ c powdered sugar
In a medium sized bowl, add rice chex and set aside.
Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 25 second increments stirring well between heating. You will not want to overheat it. When it looks like most of the chips are melted, just keep stirring instead of heating more. Stir in the vanilla and peppermint as well as the butter (if desired).
Pour mixture over Chex and stir to combine and evenly coat cereal. Chill in the refrigerator for about 5-10 minutes.
Transfer the chocolate Chex mixture to a large ziploc bag and add powdered sugar. Shake well to coat.
Transfer back to bowl and allow to continue to cool until ready to serve.
Toss in the M&M's and extra chocolate chips if desired.
Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- You can use a double boiler method to melt the chocolate if you prefer instead of using the microwave.
- If you prefer, you can use just the peppermint extract and omit the vanilla in this Christmas Chex Mix. I like the combination of the two.
- This makes for a great gift to have in holiday jars or mason jars with a big bow on top!
- This recipe can certainly be a great option for St. Patrick's Day as well--Just add green and white M&Ms instead! Or if there isn't a special holiday around the corner, regular M&Ms are great as well!
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 206mg | Potassium: 219mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 375IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 6mg