Easy Vegan Chickpea "Tuna" Salad
This vegan chickpea tuna salad recipe will wow everyone! Perfect as a sandwich, on top of crackers or straight from the spoon. Prepped in just 15 minutes and can be made for a simple lunch or dress it up for a fun appetizer for your guests!
- 2 cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ¼ c vegan mayonnaise regular mayo will work as well
- 4 celery stalks diced
- ¼ c red onion diced small
- 1-2 teaspoon capers
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2-3 T fresh chopped dill
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, using a potato masher or other similar tool, mash chickpeas well until mashed with some chunks throughout. You can also do this in a food processor.
Add in all other ingredients and stir well to combine. Adjust seasoning as desired.
Chill for 10-20 minutes before serving.
Enjoy on a sandwich or however you would usually have tuna salad.
- There are two ways to mash up your chickpeas that I find easiest. One is to use a potato masher. This is what I typically opt for. Another option is to use a food processor and pulse until the chickpeas are broken down, but with chunks still in the mix.
- When using a potato masher, I find the skins of the chickpeas can start to come off a lot. You can pull these out (which can be a nuisance) or just leave them in.
- Use fresh dill if possible. I know I already said this, but I find the difference in flavor between fresh and dried dill is major. The dill is a big part of the flavor of this salad so that's why I find it so important.
- This chickpea tuna salad can be stored in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days. I have eaten off of this salad for days on end and it has kept very well.
Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 335mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 52IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 3mg