Butternut Squash Chili
A simple veggie packed butternut squash chili that only takes 15 minutes to prep. The right touch of spice and ready for all of the toppings you love. Even meat eaters will love this hearty vegetarian chili!
- 4 ½ c butternut squash, cubed (or 2, 9 oz. bags frozen)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- 1 can kidney beans (approx. 15.5 oz)
- 1 can pinto beans (15.5 oz.)
- 1 can black beans (15.5 oz.)
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (approx. 14.5 oz.) (I don't drain the liquid)
- 1 can tomato sauce (approx. 15 oz.)
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 T chili powder
- ½ T cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper more or less depending on desired spiciness
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1 -2 c vegetable broth (optional)
Peel and cube butternut squash if using fresh, dice peppers and red onion.
In a large pot, heat about 1 T olive oil over med-high heat. Add peppers and onion and sauté until onions start to become translucent.
Lower heat to medium and add all other ingredients. If you like a thick chili, you can even omit the broth, or start with half cup and then add as desired later.
Cover and heat over medium to medium-low for about 20 minutes or until squash is softened.
Add more broth if the chili is thicker than your liking. Garnish with your favorite chili add ins and enjoy!
- You can add meat to this butternut squash chili. I sometimes will brown a pound of turkey or beef and then stir it in at the end. When doing so I often will add an extra can of tomato sauce into the mix.
- We switch things up and add in smoked paprika for a layer of smokiness to the chili.
Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 54mg | Potassium: 1374mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 12417IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 7mg