15 Minute Vegan Sloppy Joes
Simple and delicious--these vegan lentil sloppy joes are literally ready in no time!
- 2 cans pre-cooked lentils (15 oz) rinsed
- 1 small onion diced small
- 1 bell pepper diced small (red or green are what I have used)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ c ketchup
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ T Worcestershire sauce (use a vegan version like Annies for fully vegan recipe)
- 1 teaspoon maple or brown sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste
In a skillet, heat olive oil, cook garlic, onion, and pepper until onion becomes translucent. (about 2 minutes)
Add in all other ingredients except lentils, salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
Add in lentils and bring mixture to a low boil for about 5 minutes to allow to thicken, stirring several times. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on a bun, stuffed in potatoes or sweet potatoes, or as desired.
- Add an extra tablespoon or so of tomato paste to help thicken the sloppy joe's up if they seem a bit too thin. Allowing them to cook at a low boil a bit longer helps as well.
Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 483mg | Potassium: 651mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 982IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 4mg