Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
Thick, chunky and creamy at the same time, this simple Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup is the perfect cozy bowl you will love. About 15 minutes of prep and the rest is done by the Instant Pot!
- 3 lb potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large leeks, whites only, roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ T butter (or olive oil)
- 4 c broth
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 3 T corn starch
- 1½ c milk
- 1 c cheese
- ½ c sour cream
- ½ c heavy cream
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
Chop veggies and prep ingredients. Turn your Instant Pot to "Sauté" and allow it to heat up. Melt butter. Add in leeks and celery and heat for about 3-4 minutes or until slightly softened. Add in garlic and stir. Heat another minute.
Turn off the Instant Pot and add in broth, scraping anything off of the bottom of the pot. Add the potatoes, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Close the Instant Pot and lock it. Make sure the vent is turned to "Sealing" and set it to pressure cook for 10 minutes. When the cycle is complete, do a quick release to allow pressure to escape. Remove the lid. Whisk together the milk and corn starch until corn starch is dissolved.
Slowly pour the milk and corn starch mixture in and stir. Add the cream, sour cream and cheese and stir until cheese is melted. From there, use an immersion blender to blend the soup slightly, but not too much if your prefer your soup chunky! You can also use a blender to do this.
Serve with your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 or 5 days.
- You can use olive oil instead of the butter in this potato soup if you prefer. Either will work just fine.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you can pour half of the soup into the blender and blend that half until smooth. Then pour it back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Sometimes I add more than just a cup of cheese, in this potato leek soup. Just depends on my mood. Cream based soups can be on the rich side so I like to start lower with the cheese and then add to my taste.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 796mg | Potassium: 925mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1232IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 211mg | Iron: 2mg