No Bake Peppermint Oreo Cheesecake
This simple No Bake Peppermint Cheesecake with an easy Oreo crust is also packed with crushed Oreos for a festive chocolate mint filled dessert. Less than 30 minutes to prep and easy to make ahead. A great dessert for the holiday season and beyond. Easily made gluten free as well thanks to gluten free Oreos!
For the Crust:
- 30 Oreos very finely crushed *you will use an entire 19.1 oz package of Oreos for recipe
- 5 T butter melted
- 1 T sugar
- 6 Oreos crushed
- extra crushed candy cane
For the Oreo Crust:
Process the oreos in a food processor until fine. (You can do this in a plastic bag with a heavy wood spoon or rolling pin if you don't have a food processor.) Mix the crushed Oreos with the melted butter and sugar until combined and crumbly. Press VERY FIRMLY into a 9x9 inch baking pan lined with parchment. (You could also use a 9 inch springform pan, make sure to spray it with oil) Freeze for about 15 minutes while making the cheesecake filling.
Prepare the Cheesecake Filling:
In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add in sour cream, vanilla and peppermint extract and beat until smooth and incorporated.
In a separate bowl, combine the whipping cream and powdered sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks begin to form. Transfer the whipped cream and crushed peppermints to the cream cheese mixture and very gently fold in until incorporated. Add the 12 crushed Oreos and gently fold in as well.
Transfer the cheesecake mixture to chilled crust. Spread evenly until smooth. Chill for at least 8 hours to set. You can freeze for about 2 hours to speed up the process, but chilling in the refrigerator is ideal.
Once set, add remaining crushed Oreos and extra candy canes if desired. Slice and serve with whipped cream on top if desired. Store in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days. You can also freeze this cheesecake for up to 2 months.
- Try to crush the candy canes or mints mostly very fine. Not everyone loves the super chewy pieces of chilled candy cane. If you make sure they are super fine, it will give the cheesecake a crystal fine crunch without hurting anyone's teeth. Save the larger pieces to sprinkle over top so that people can push aside if desired.
- Make sure the Oreos for the crust are crushed super fine. If larger chunks of Oreo are in the crust, it will make slicing it more difficult and will not hold up as well overall.
- You can add some food coloring if desired. A lot of peppermint or candy cane cheesecakes have a touch of red food coloring. I don't prefer it, but if you would like to add some, add a few drops in when stirring in the whipped cream and candy cane pieces.
- Make sure to chill this peppermint Oreo cheesecake sufficiently. This will make for easier slicing and will hold up much better. You can eat it still if it's not fully set, it will just be a LOT messier--consider yourself warned!
- Tips for cutting this cheesecake:
- Make sure the cheesecake is chilled sufficiently. You can even freeze it for the last 30 minutes before serving.
- Take a sharp knife and run it under hot water for about 15 seconds, wiping it dry before slicing.
- Slice and then wipe between each slice. You can run it under hot water several times throughout.
Calories: 444kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 301mg | Potassium: 143mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 809IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg