Marinated Mozzarella Tomato Basil Skewers
So simple and flavorful, marinated mozzarella makes these Tomato Mozzarella Basil Skewers like nothing you have ever had. A caprese salad on a skewer but taken up a level by letting the mozzarella soak in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and herbs before making the skewers. A simple appetizer that will steal the show!
Servings: 40 skewers (approximately)
- 16 oz fresh mozzarella log
- ⅓ c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cracked pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt more or less to taste
- 40 grape tomatoes this may vary
- 2 oz. fresh basil leaves
- 40 6 inch skewers/toothpicks
Slice a 16 oz. mozzarella log into equal pieces--some groceries sell them pre-sliced! Slice each piece into about 4-6 one inch pieces. The end pieces will only cut into about 3 or 4. Toss the mozzarella pieces with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper and evenly coat. Chill to marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to about 24 hours. If marinating more than an hour or two, toss the mozzarella a few times every couple of hours or so.
When ready to prep the skewers, toss the mozzarella one last time. Chop the basil leaves into smaller pieces if the leaves are very large to make about 40 pieces. Thread a slice of mozzarella, a piece of basil leaf, one tomato and another piece of mozzarella.
Continue until all the mozzarella is gone. Place skewers on a serving platter or into a container that can be sealed. Add a piece of wax paper between layers of skewers. Chill until ready to serve or serve immediately.
Skewers will stay fresh for 2-3 days sealed in the refrigerator, but are best freshly made.
- Save the extra olive oil at the end. This flavorful mixture of oil and vinegar is perfect as a salad dressing, to dip bread in or to brush over meat you are going to cook. I tossed some extra mozzarella and tomatoes with spinach and some of the leftover oil and it was perfect.
- If you use small mozzarella balls, or ciliegine, you will end up with about 48 pieces in 16 oz. which will make 24 skewers if adding two pieces of cheese to each.
- Try to assemble the mozzarella skewers within about an hour or so of serving so that the mozzarella is still moist from the marinade. If you aren't able to do so that close to serving time, that is ok, but some of the marinade may dry up. Still will taste amazing, though.
- You can skip the skewers and toss all of the ingredients together to serve as a salad or to spoon over bread.
Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 87mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 296IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1mg