Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
Everything is better with cheese! These simple, mozzarella stuffed meatballs are full of melted, gooey cheese and cook up in 15 minutes! Pop them on a toothpick for an easy appetizer or toss them in marinara and serve them with pasta. Your choice!
Servings: 15 meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey (85% lean)
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ c parmesan cheese, grated
- ⅓ c breadcrumbs (gluten free, if needed)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 15 1 inch pieces of fresh mozzarella or any cube or stick form cut into 1 inch pieces
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except the mozzarella and mix well to combine. Roll into two inch balls. If this is difficult, you can add more breadcrumbs to make it less sticky or chill for about 15-20 minutes before rolling.
Press an indentation into each meatball to fit the piece of mozzarella. Place a one inch piece into the indentation, and form the meatball around the mozzarella to cover completely. Repeat for each meatball.
Line the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until the meatballs have reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
Allow to rest for several minutes before serving tossed in your favorite marinara or sauce or eaten just as is!
- As for serving these mozzarella stuffed turkey meatballs, toss them in some marinara and grab some toothpicks. You should be all set!
- If serving these party style, you can keep them in a crock pot set to warm with your favorite marinara or sauce.
- You can chill the meatball mixture for about 15-20 minutes for easier rolling if desired.
- Feel free to mix up the meatball mixture ahead of time and roll them for baking just before you are ready to serve them.
Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 53IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 1mg