Dark Chocolate Cherry Brownies
Fudgy and chocolatey, these cherry brownies are packed with maraschino cherries and dark chocolate--whip them up in minutes!
- ½ c plus 3 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1 c sugar
- ¾ c flour
- 2 eggs, large
- ⅓ c cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ¼ c dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 ¼ c maraschino cherries, stems removed
Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk the melted butter and sugar together to fully incorporate. Add in the eggs and vanilla and whisk well. Melt 3/4 cup of the chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips by microwaving in 20 second increments and stirring well in between. Whisk the chocolate into the butter and egg mixture. Fully incorporate the chocolate.
Add the flour, cocoa powder and sea salt and stir to combine. Don't over stir past this point. Add in the cherries (feel free to add them whole or chopped) and the rest of the chopped chocolate and gently fold in.
Pour the batter into a well greased 8x8 inch baking pan (I use butter). Bake for about 25-28 minutes for super fudgy brownies, or until the center is just set to touch. For firmer brownies, bake for closer to 30-35 minutes. Brownies will continue to cook a bit after removed from the oven.
Allow to cool before cutting. I love serving mine with a big dollop of whipped cream, shaved chocolate and an extra cherry on top!
- You can microwave the chocolate to melt it, but if you prefer skipping the microwave, you can use a double boiler method and melt it stove top.
- If you only have a 9x9 inch baking pan, you will want to keep an eye and not over bake these. I would pull them out at 25 minutes!
- Baking in a metal pan versus a glass pan will vary the baking time as well. I suggest a metal pan--that is what I used. If you use a glass pan, you may need to bake the brownies longer by about 5 minutes.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 111mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 376IU | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg