Simple Turkey Chili
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- Onion diced
- 2 cans tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 2 cans tomato sauce (15 oz.)
- 2 cans kidney beans (15.25 oz.)
- 1 can pinto beans (15.25 oz.)
- 3 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 - 4 teaspoon cocoa
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- olive oil
Heat a large pot to medium high. When hot, add 1 T olive oil. Add in peppers and onion and cook for several minutes or until the onions start to become translucent. Push veggies to the side of the pot. Add another drizzle of olive oil and add in ground turkey. Cook the turkey until browned. (about 5-7 minutes give or take)
When turkey is cooked, turn heat to medium low. Add in tomatoes (drain extra liquid before adding), tomato sauce, and beans (drained and rinsed) and stir to combine. Add in spices and stir. Cover and allow to cook for about 10 minutes stirring several times throughout.
Turn to simmer until ready to serve!
Enjoy with your favorite toppings and freeze or refrigerate leftovers.
- I use one pot and one pot only when making this chili. That is the beauty of it. Turkey doesn't make a lot of excess grease so you really don't even need to drain it. Just get out a big pot and you are all set.
- Chili is always, always always ALWAYS better on the second day in my opinion. So if you are making this for a party, feel free to meal prep the day before and then warm up or toss it in the crock pot to stay warm for guests.
- After cooking this and any chili really, I put it into individual freezer safe containers so that I can grab single servings on the go or at night when I am too exhausted to cook after the little one is in bed. On any given day I typically have 5-10 containers of chili waiting in the freezer during fall and winter!
Calories: 440kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 1568mg | Potassium: 2172mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 3155IU | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 11mg