Chicken with Mango Salsa
This Chicken with Mango Salsa is not your average chicken dinner. A bit of sweet and spicy and lots of flavor in this juicy chicken dinner recipe. Super versatile and can be eaten as is, over rice, as tacos and so much more!
For the Chicken
- 3-4 chicken breast (about 2 lb)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt
For the Mango Salsa
- 2 mangoes, diced (or about 3 c diced mango)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- Juice of ½ a lime
- ½ c cilantro, loosely packed and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the chicken breasts in a 9X13 baking dish. Using a brush, spread olive oil on both sides of each chicken breast. Salt as desired and then add garlic, cumin, chili powder and pepper evenly across the chicken.
Bake for about 22-25 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. (I have had really thick chicken breasts that take almost 30 minutes before so make sure to check them temp!)
While chicken is baking, toss all salsa ingredients together. Add a touch of cracked pepper as well if desired. Chill until chicken is cooked.
When chicken is done, remover from oven, allow to sit for several minutes and then serve with a generous spoonful of mango salsa!
- The instructions for this recipe is for baking the chicken. If you prefer to grill, by all means do it! Grill over medium high heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165°F. Flip halfway through. The seasoning and the salsa is the main event of this dish. Once the chicken is cooked, you are golden!
- I would have added some red onion to the salsa but the husband is NOT a fan. I think a good salsa needs to include onion so if you agree, chop up about ¼ cup of red onion and toss it in!
- Get out your meat thermometer-- chicken needs to have an internal temperature 165°F.
- If you are not a big fan of spice, start slow on the jalapeño. You definitely can add more, but it is hard to take away.
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 357mg | Potassium: 861mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 2248IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg