Pesto Turkey Pinwheels with Smoked Provolone
Loaded with fresh ingredients, these Pesto Turkey Pinwheels are perfect for a simple lunch, party platter or even a snack. Smoked provolone pairs well with this turkey and wrapped in a pesto cream cheese mixture that you will be coming back for more again and again!
For the Pesto:
- 1 c basil fresh
- ¼ c pine nuts or walnuts
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ c olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 T grated parmesan
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
For the Pinwheels:
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 slices oven roasted turkey breast, deli sliced medium
- 4 deli slices smoked provolone
- 2 10-inch tortillas
In a food processor, combine basil, spinach, lemon juice, parmesan, and garlic. Process to combine and break down spinach and basil. Slowly pour in olive oil and process until smooth and to desired thickness. Add more olive oil if too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer ¼ c of the pesto to a bowl with the softened cream cheese. Mix well to combine.
Assemble Pinwheels: Spread ½ of the cream cheese mixture onto a tortilla, leaving the edges free of any pesto. Layer two slices of the turkey and provolone. Roll very tightly.
For easier cutting, you can wrap the rolled tortilla in plastic wrap and chill for about 30 minutes before slicing. This is not 100% necessary. Enjoy!
- If you are short on time, you can use pre-made pesto. The color green won't be as vibrant but other than that, the flavor should still be great!
- Make sure not to spread the pesto cream cheese mixture all the way to the ends of the tortilla. If so, you will end up with plenty of cream cheese and pesto squeezing out at you when you roll these up. Try to leave about an inch around the edge empty
- Roll the pesto turkey pinwheels TIGHT. They will fall apart easily if you don't roll them nice and tight. This is why you want to leave empty space around the edges because the pesto will squeeze out slightly from squeezing as you roll. You can tuck the sides in when rolling to keep too much from squeezing out as well!
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 594mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 545IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 1mg