Lemon Sugar Cookies
These Lemon Sugar Cookies are soft and chewy and with the perfect amount of citrus to bring some sunshine to your day. One bowl and no chill--this easy recipe will be a new favorite for the whole family!
Servings: 12 cookies
- 1 stick butter, softened (½ cup) unsalted
- 1 ¼ c flour* (PLEASE READ NOTES!!!)
- 1 c sugar (separated)
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- zest of 2 small/medium lemons
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk together to combine.
In a medium bowl, using a hand or standing mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar and ¾c sugar until light and fluffy. (about 3-4 minutes or so). Add in egg, lemon zest and vanilla and beat until combined.
Slowly pour in the dry ingredients and beat just until combined--do not over mix. (Chill for about 30 minutes if desired.) Roll cookie dough into about 1 ½ inch balls and roll into the remaining ¼ cup sugar (add sugar into a small bowl first.) and place about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking pan.
Bake 9-11 minutes. Allow to cool before eating.(ha--right, I burn my tongue every time)
Store in an air tight container or freeze.
* If you are worried about your cookies coming out flat, you can opt for 1 ⅓ cups flour. I have gone back and forth on the amount of flour in this recipe. The original recipe has always called for 1 ¼ cup. After feedback from readers, I tested and found that a touch more flour seems to give a bit more wiggle room and the cookies are not as flat. The biggest issue in getting flat cookies is if you start with butter that is softened too much or if you under measure the flour. That will make those things just spread out like thin pancakes. If you have made this recipe before with no issues using 1 ¼ cup flour, please feel free to continue doing so! I prefer the recipe with 1 ¼ cup as I like a thinner, chewier cookie and have not had issues, but the 1 ⅓ cup seems to have helped many others. Do what works best for you!
- Check to make sure your baking powder and baking soda are both fresh. Expired leavening agents can cause issues when trying to bake. Keep them fresh!
- I read that adding a touch of brown sugar is what helps sugar cookies form well and spread nicely. I found that the result of adding just a Tablespoon of brown sugar did the trick for these.
- Make sure not to over bake these lemon sugar cookies. When you pull them out, you may think they are not quite ready yet, but they should be perfect that way.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 31mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 258IU | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg