Quick Crispy Instant Pot Carnitas (Slow Cooker Option)
The easiest quick and crispy Instant Pot Carnitas you will ever make! Juicy, tender and crispy and ready in about an hour. Dinner is served and taco night is on! Slow cooker option included in recipe!
- 4 lb pork shoulder (or butt), boneless
- 1 c chicken broth or stock
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ - 1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- Juice of one lime
- Juice of one orange
- bunch of fresh cilantro
Instant Pot: Cut pork into about 2 - 2 ½ inch chunks, removing excess fat, Pour chicken broth into inner pot and add pork. Add garlic, spices and juices and stir to mix well. Shut Instant Pot, lock and move steam release to Sealing. Set to pressure cook for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, allow for about a 5 minute natural release, and then quick release the remaining pressure. Remove meat and shred (it will fall apart easily!). For crispy carnitas, layer evenly on a baking sheet and set the oven to broil. Broil for about 5-7 minutes or until desired crispiness. Top with plenty of freshly chopped cilantro and add your favorite toppings to your tacos!
Slow Cooker: Pour chicken broth into bottom of crock pot. Add garlic, spices and juices to cover meat. Close Slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours and low for 6-8. Before serving, shred pork and broil as well for 5-7 minutes if desired.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the freezer or refrigerator.
- I find that broiling the meat before serving is amazing, but this is completely optional. If it's one more thing to do or you don't have time for it, these will still taste AMAZING!
- Leftovers! I think these are better the second day. You can freeze leftovers as well for a super quick dinner when you need something fast.
- Pork shoulder seems to be the best cut for this recipe. If you are pressure cooking, you will want to cut the meat into 2-3 inch pieces. If you are slow cooking, feel free to leave it in one big piece, but you can still cut it into large chunks if preferred!
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 288mg | Potassium: 719mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 3mg