Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken with Tomato and Basil
Chicken for dinner doesn't have to be the same old and it doesn't have to be complicated either. This simple Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken with fresh basil and tomato makes dinner worth repeating! Ready in 30 minutes and packed with flavor-- a Caprese salad right in your chicken!
- 4 chicken breasts (3 if large in size)
- 4 ½ in. slices fresh mozzarella (log or ball)
- 10-12 basil leaves
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon balsamic
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and pepper
- balsamic glaze (optional) to serve
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Slice tomatoes and chop basil. Add to a small bowl and toss with balsamic, olive oil, Italian seasoning, one garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Season each chicken breast with salt, pepper and garlic (using the other clove) on both sides. Use a sharp knife to cut through the middle of each chicken breast but not all the way through. Gently stuff each piece of chicken with one slice of mozzarella halved. Add the tomato basil mixture and then toothpick each end to hold.
Place each chicken breast in a greased baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Allow to rest for several minutes before serving! You can add a drizzle or balsamic glaze and chopped basil over top when serving.
- When slicing the chicken for stuffing, try to do it so that top and bottom half are of equal thickness. This will ensure that both parts cook at an even rate and one does not dry out.
- You can make these ahead of time and let them sit in the fridge for the day and then pop them in the oven before dinner. That always helps when it comes to meal time for me!
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 178mg | Sodium: 531mg | Potassium: 942mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 666IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 239mg | Iron: 1mg