Blueberry Basil Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese
Nothing against the classic sandwich, but this Blueberry Basil Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwich will be your new summer sandwich for sure--fresh basil, juicy blueberries and goat cheese with a hint of honey--enough said!
- ½ c blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 5-7 fresh basil leaves, whole or chopped
- 2 slices of bread
- 2-3 T honey goat cheese
In a small saucepan, bring the blueberries and maple syrup to a very soft boil and begin mashing while stirring. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes and then strain liquid (reserve liquid for pancakes tomorrow morning!)
Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Then spread 1 T goat cheese onto the other side of each. Place both pieces buttered side down on a medium heated griddle. Spread blueberry mixture on top of the goat cheese on one of the slices of bread and top with basil.
Cook until bread is golden brown and assemble into sandwich adding one of the slices of bread on top. Enjoy!
- You can but a tiny bit of water into the pan with the blueberries if you want to. I didn't need any corn starch or anything. For this Blueberry Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese, the sauce is just heated berries for the most part, keeping it as simple as possible!
- Cutting this sandwich can get a bit messy. You can cook them in smaller, halved pieces if that is how you prefer serving them.
- Not a fan of goat cheese? Cream cheese will be amazing as well!
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 430mg | Potassium: 228mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 791IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 2mg