Strawberry Crumble Muffins
Enjoy strawberry season with these freshly baked Strawberry Muffins with Crumble Topping. Buttery crumble on top of muffins bursting with fresh strawberries. This simple recipe is perfect for breakfast or snack!
Servings: 18 muffins
- 2 c flour
- ¼ c butter, melted
- 1 c sour cream
- ¾ c plus 1 T sugar, separated
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ c strawberries, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
For crumble Topping:
- 6 T butter, melted (3/4 of one stick of butter)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ c sugar
- ¼ c brown sugar
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Toss strawberries in 1 tablespoon of sugar and set aside.
In another small bowl, whisk together baking powder, salt and flour. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add sour cream and whisk to combine. Slowly begin to add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate. Fold in berries.
In a small bowl, prep the crumble topping by whisking together the flour, sugars, vanilla and cinnamon. Add in the butter. Stir with a fork until it starts to become crumbly.
Spoon muffin batter into a greased muffin pan and fill muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle generously with crumble topping.
Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of a muffin clean. Allow to cool before eating. Store in an airtight container for about 2-3 days.
- You can use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream if desired but I suggest using full fat or avoid nonfat if at all possible.
- Make sure your baking powder is fresh. Expired baking powder will guarantee a pretty unsuccessful bake. I have pulled out baking powder that is well beyond the expiration date so just thought I would remind you!
- You can use fresh or frozen strawberries. I have made them with both. To be honest, the muffins I made with the frozen were a bit sweeter. I was not mad at all! If you use frozen, just make sure to thaw them before cutting and adding them to the batter.
- Don't have strawberries? Seriously the title may say Strawberry Crumble Muffins, but it should say Any Berry Crumble Muffins. There is not rule that says you must use strawberries.
Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 301IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1mg