So far my garden this summer is moving along at a nice pace. I have already got plenty of basil so it’s been great to add to so many recipes. The thing I like about basil is that you can combine it to make some amazing and unexpected flavors. For instance, strawberry and basil may not be your typical combination, but as far as I am concerned based on this avocado toast recipe, they should get together more often!
I am a sucker for toast, and avocado toast is my latest favorite. So many options, so many combinations that can be topped on a piece of bread with avocado. They are seriously endless.
I typically like to top mine with a fried egg, but the other week, I was in the mood to shake things up. I had just grabbed some basil from the garden and had some strawberries in the fridge. One thing led to another and this creation came to be! The second time I made this, I also drizzled a bit of balsamic vinegar over the toast. Superb as well.
There was once a day when high fat foods such as avocado would have been something I did not eat. But I know better now and I know the many benefits of this and other healthy sources of fat. So now I add them to my diet, every day! And so should you!
- 2 pieces bread of choice I used Ezekiel Bread
- 4-5 strawberries
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar optional
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Toast bread to desired level.
- Dice strawberries, and chop basil leaves.
- In a small bowl, mash avocado thoroughly.
- Squeeze lemon juice over avocado and stir in along with a dash of sea salt and pepper.
- Spread mixture over toast.
- Add strawberries over toast to cover entirely.
- Finally, top with chopped basil leaves.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil over the toast and balsamic if desired.
- Enjoy immediately.