In a recent post, I talked about all of the things I was going to work on to take care of myself during this crazy holiday season. I have been doing pretty well, but there is one thing I have cheated on, a lot.
I can’t seem to keep my phone out of bed. I know it’s a bad habit, but I just can’t keep the technology out of my nightly routine. I guess I’ve become quite dependent upon it. And trust me, I have a whole line of “reasons” why I need my phone with me. Anthony wants the lights off before me, so I can’t read a book in bed. Solution? I download a book on my phone or other device. Oh, yea, that means I have to hop into the sack with the technology. Oops. Or I tell myself I have to do something mindless like play solitaire or some other game to really settle in. An hour later, I still don’t seem to be settled.
I am doing to give this one another go. I am gonna stick to it this time. Once I hit the sheets, no more phone. (ipad, desktop, etc. included). Tech free in bed. And I am going to do it. I am. I. AM. GOING. TO. DO. IT.
I really can’t be that pitiful that I need some sort of contraption to put me to bed. So here’s to really trying this time! I will keep you posted on how it goes!
This Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean + Kale Mexican Quinoa never started out as a recipe I was planning to share. It literally was one of those things that I just always threw together. I found myself starting to make some version of it a lot more frequently and people at work would ask what I was eating on my break and now here we are.
I will say that I don’t make this exactly the same every time so nailing the actual measurements and ingredients was not the easiest. I will also say that this is my FAVORITE recipe to freeze single servings and then eat with cubed avocado on top. I more than likely have at least 7 mason jars frozen now with this recipe and probably eat it twice a week.
Sometimes I add some corn to the mix or some diced red onion. Sometimes I heat it up with some red pepper flakes or change up the spices with smoked paprika. For the most part, I use frozen chopped kale. What I don’t ever do is spend a lot of time on this recipe. I cook the quinoa, roast the sweet potatoes and then toss everything together. Done. I usually make a double batch and stack the mason jars in the freezer so I have a healthy lunch at my fingertips for days I don’t have time to pack something. We all have those days, right!
- 1 c quinoa uncooked
- 1 can or 2 cups cooked and rinsed black beans
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 - 2 c chopped kale
- 2 cans or 4 c diced tomatoes unsalted
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- olive oil
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Chop sweet potatoes (I leave skin on) Into bite sized pieces.
- Mix sweet potatoes with a drizzle (about 2-3 tsp) of olive oil to coat evenly.
- Line sweet potatoes evenly on a parchment lined pan.
- Roast for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and soft.
- Cook quinoa according do package directions.
- Once quinoa is cooked, combine it in a medium bowl with kale, tomatoes, black beans, garlic and spices. (Kale should wilt nicely with the hot quinoa.)
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, mix with all other ingredients.
- Salt and pepper to taste and add more chili powder or cumin if desired.
- Serve with diced avocado or cilantro.
- Store leftovers in the fridge or freeze and reheat as desired.
This can be a whole meal or a great side for taco night!