Larabars are my snack of choice when I am on the go. My very favorite flavor is the peanut butter chocolate chip. So naturally, I had to make my own version at one point or another and the time is now!
I love Larabars because the ingredients list for all of the bars are foods we know and recognize and there are only a handful of ingredients in each. Simple is what I like! If you buy the bars individually, they typically run about a dollar a bar and I am pretty sure to make them is more than half the cost. So that's always a win in my book!
I know I have friends and readers out there who are unable to consume peanuts and for some nuts all together. I am starting to work to accommodate these dietary needs. I believe that a combination of sunflower seeds, hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds would do the trick for this recipe. Add more dates if the mixture seems too dry though.
Most days I have some sort of energy bite in the house, and lately, these have been the winner. Even Anthony has been caught sneaking some!
- ½ c unsalted peanuts raw or dry roasted
- 1 c raw almonds
- 3 T natural peanut butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 11-13 medjool dates pitted
- 2-3 T mini chocolate chips
- Dash of sea salt
- In a food processor, process almonds and peanuts until a fine and grainy consistency.
- Add in peanut butter, dates, vanilla and sea salt.
- Process until a dough begins to form.
- Transfer to a small bowl and add in chocolate chips using a spoon or hands to work into the mixture.
- Chill mixture for about 15-20 minutes.
- Roll into bite sized balls.
*For nut allergies, a combination of sunflower seeds, hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds and sunflower seed butter should do!