Dinner is so simple but far from average with this baked rainbow trout with cilantro pesto. Flaky, fresh fish covered in pesto.
We are typically a salmon family, but baked rainbow trout is for sure next in line. And this recipe involves an amazing cilantro pesto that you will want to add to EVERYTHING!
Why this recipe works:
- Fresh pesto is the best pesto! I am a huge fan of pesto. I am not a fan of wanting to make pesto and being completely out of basil. We always have cilantro in our house. So making it into a pesto works perfectly for this baked rainbow trout.
- This recipe is dinner when you don't have time. Preheat the oven, lay out the fish on the baking pan, toss everything for the pesto in the food processor and go. While the fish cooks, heat up some broccoli or another veggie and add your favorite grain. In about 20 minutes, your belly will be full and happy!
- It's dairy free! A lot of pestos use cheese, but this one is cheese free. So you can enjoy it if you have to avoid the dairy as well!
What to serve with this recipe:
Rice is always a no brainer for us when it comes to making this baked rainbow trout. I love making Air Fryer Broccoli to pull it all together. During the summer, I love adding Grilled Street Corn with Garlic Feta Butter as well.
Try these other recipes:
- Pesto Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner
- Butter Herb Instant Pot Salmon
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Creamy Pesto Spaghetti Squash
- Instant Pot Creamy Parmesan Pasta
- Creamy One Pot Pasta
Baked Rainbow Trout with Cilantro Pesto
- 1 ½ lb Rainbow Trout (cut into filets if preferred)
- 1 c fresh cilantro
- ¼ c chopped walnuts
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 T olive oil more to get desired thickness
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet and remove fish from packaging, laying it on parchment (skin side down). Season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor, combine walnuts and cilantro and process until fine.
- Add all other ingredients and process until smooth. Add more olive oil if it is too thick to your liking.
- Spread evenly over trout.
- Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through and edges are crisp.
- Remove from oven. Fish easily comes right off the skin with a spatula.
- Serve with desired sides!