Hey there! So I have a lot I would love to chat about with you on some personal growth and changes around my own eating recently, but that will take a lot more time than I have today. What I WILL say is that I should have read the book Intuitive Eating AGES ago. But I can’t live in the past, can I? I am so glad I came across the book and it has changed so much about my relationship with food in such a positive way. I thought I had a good relationship, but there was still some major tweaks I needed to make so I will share a bit more soon. At any rate, I have thrown out any and all rules and the name of the game is “I can eat anything I want. ANYTHING.” And there has been so much freedom and so much learning around this. I am in the best place I think I have ever been so more to come soon!
On that note, I am just going to share a quick and simple recipe we have been making at the house that has been a new fave in dinner rotation. These Black Bean & Kale Quesadillas are those crazy days’ saving grace when I get home and don’t want to think about dinner. I have even used frozen kale if I haven’t had a chance to get to the grocery for fresh produce or if my kale is looking a bit too old.
Simply sauté the ingredients and then spread over a tortilla and make a delicious grilled cheese tortilla. I like to have some guac to spread on top and we are set. Oh, and some grilled corn on the cob goes quite well! I know I have a lot of vegan readers as well and all you have to do is substitute a vegan cheese and you are set as well. Use whatever tortilla you prefer!
Black Bean & Kale Quesadillas
- 2 kale stalks stem removed and chopped
- 1/4 c corn
- 1/3 c black beans cooked and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- 1/2 c shredded white cheddar
- 2 to rtillas of choice
- 1/2 T olive oil
- Over medium high heat, heat olive oil.
- Add kale and sauté until wilted.
- Add in beans, corn and spices and for about 2-3 minutes until combined and warmed.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add about 1/4 c cheese to 1/2 of an open tortilla. Spoon in half of the kale and bean mixture and then add desired amount of cilantro over top. Fold tortilla in half.
- In large skillet, brown each side of the quesadilla in desired cooking oil or ghee for about 3 minutes. When cooked to desired brown, remove from heat, allow to cool and then dig in!